Checking in with the World's Winds

by gmoke Thu Jan 4th, 2018 at 04:16:46 AM EST

I like to see the maps of the Arctic Jet Stream every day or so (http://squall.sfsu.edu/gif/jetstream_norhem_00.gif).
They look like dragons and other creatures
chasing each other around the North Pole.

Then I look at the Global Map of Wind, Weather, and Ocean conditions (https:/earth.nullschool.net)
which animates the winds and ocean currents in what seems like real-time
in full color
coded according to the speed.
I look for where the rare red winds are.

Usually, last, I pull up the World Cloud Cover map (http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/comp/wv/LATEST_WV.gif)
to see how it relates to the other two images
and make sure the equatorial rainforests are
still making rain.

Sometimes, late at night
I look at the Northern Lights
from the Churchill, Manitoba Northern Studies Centre live camera (https:
Even when the Northern Lights aren't shining,
I'll often just
listen to the sounds
of that distant wind.

It reminds me where I live.

More global checkins?
. yes 100%
. no 0%
. not yes 0%
. not no 0%
. neither yes nor no 0%
. both yes and no 0%
. don't understand the question? 0%
. none of the above 0%

Votes: 2
Results | Other Polls
by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Thu Jan 4th, 2018 at 11:03:34 AM EST
Very helpful to me. I work with the wind and seldom have time to search out such sites.

Paul Gipe

Paul Gipe

by pgipe (pgipe(at)igc.org) on Thu Jan 4th, 2018 at 02:42:34 PM EST
Hi Paul

with Meteo Earth you get all three and more (or less, if you choose...
plus, you can watch the predicted change over 24 hours.

on my handy, meteo earth gives the same over 7 days!

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Ana´s Nin

by Crazy Horse on Thu Jan 4th, 2018 at 10:49:39 PM EST
Thanks, I've added it to my bookmarks.

Solar IS Civil Defense
by gmoke on Sun Jan 7th, 2018 at 09:52:35 PM EST
Thanks Randy. Good to hear from you. I hope all's well in Bremerhaven and no more bicycle spills. Coalition agreement isn't looking good. Of course, not as bad as over here. ;)

Paul Gipe
by pgipe (pgipe(at)igc.org) on Sat Jan 13th, 2018 at 02:48:24 PM EST
Lovely. One of these years I need to travel far enough north to see the Northern Lights. For now, periodic video footage and photos suffice.

"There are no innocents. There are, however, different degrees of responsibility." -- Lisbeth Salander
by Don Durito on Tue Jan 9th, 2018 at 10:16:33 PM EST