I'm probably going to delete this diary in about half an hour.
by the stormy present (stormypresent aaaaaaat gmail etc) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 06:31:39 AM EST
Where have pie fights been taking place?

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.
by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 06:34:04 AM EST
The hidden comments will give you an idea where to look, but honestly I don't think I'd bother.  It's not one big fight, its a series of skirmishes.
by the stormy present (stormypresent aaaaaaat gmail etc) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 06:36:52 AM EST
We have several new posters - "which is nice".

It is inevitable that it takes a while for new people to pitch their comments (or diaries) at the right level. There is an apparent sense of freedom at ET that encourages people to speak out - and I have no objection to that.

I say 'apparent' because in any community there develop unwritten rules of behaviour which can be both supportive and repressive. Because they are unwritten, it is hard for a newcomer to discover them. They are only revealed by engagement.

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 10:12:20 AM EST
I largely agree, but, in the case of (say) richardk, it seems as though the sort of behavior he has engaged in at times should not require learning through conversation here, but rather should not take place because a basic sense of decency in discussion.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.
by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 10:16:02 AM EST
Well, I haven't been following closely, but it seems he did post a diary about High Speed Trains 2 days ago which seems to indicate a change of tack.

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 10:20:07 AM EST
True, but I think he went back to his original ways in some recent comments to redstar.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.
by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 10:21:14 AM EST
And to Izzy, and Marek, and me.
by the stormy present (stormypresent aaaaaaat gmail etc) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 10:23:21 AM EST
And rg, too, if I'm not mistaken.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.
by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 10:26:51 AM EST
Nope, he's never been rude to me.  (That I can remember.)

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.
by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 10:33:53 AM EST
You're thick-skinned.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 10:39:55 AM EST
No, seriously.  Here's his last comment directly to me.

You've partly reinvented the 'job complexes' of participatory economics. Not exactly a surprise since they make a lot of sense.
Speaking of automation, you may also be interested in reading Michael Goldhaber's essays, many on First Monday. Soon enough, money will no longer be effective in structuring even a fascist economy. Not that it was ever effective at structuring a human economy.

I'm a fan of participatory economics and First Monday seems interesting.

It's just that he keeps going off on one (but not at me personally--I'm pretty sure of that) and I...er...wanted to echo his tone back to him...humorously was my intention...because when he's not in CAPS LOCK--boldface--"I have a thin skin for EVIL" mode....(I have a thin skin for evil...issa classic.  I really would love to read a diary by richardk on the subject of

EVIL!

...t'would make interesting--and hopefully humorous--reading I think, though I could be wrong.)

Overall, it seems he has been a troll elsewhere (hat tip to balbuz)...and, well, my working definition of a troll is a person who seeks to derail...hmmm...the narrative line...in unwanted ways, in richardk's case by becoming suddenly offensive to posters.  So I became suddenly offensive to him.  But I honestly don't think he was ever offensive to me.  Or maybe I just forgot?

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.

by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 10:53:44 AM EST
If I meant anything, it was that he abusively troll-rated you.

But now I see you're pi in the sky: 3.14

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 10:57:22 AM EST
Oh, I deserved--and expected--to be troll-rated...well, the hieronymus bosch didn't deserve to be troll-rated because it's beautiful.

Here it is again.

3.14!

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.

by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 11:03:22 AM EST
There are hidden comments?

There are never hidden comments.

C'est la vie.

And I'll give my consent to any government that does not deny a man a living wage-Billy Bragg

by ManfromMiddletown (manfrommiddletown at lycos dot com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 04:31:15 PM EST
And, by the way, just to get the thread going, I'd like to say that you're a right prick, stormy. ;)

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.
by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 06:34:46 AM EST
I can't be a prick, I'm a girl.  Get your facts straight, you facist. ;-)
by the stormy present (stormypresent aaaaaaat gmail etc) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 06:35:59 AM EST
Bah, facts, schmacts, you FemiNazi. :D

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.
by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 06:43:35 AM EST
Corporate running-dog.
by the stormy present (stormypresent aaaaaaat gmail etc) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 06:49:10 AM EST
Unwoman!

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 06:50:06 AM EST
That's Wonder Woman® to you, you capitalist sideshow freak.
by the stormy present (stormypresent aaaaaaat gmail etc) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 06:54:54 AM EST
Terrorist-coddler.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.
by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 06:54:24 AM EST
I know you are, but what am I?
by the stormy present (stormypresent aaaaaaat gmail etc) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 06:55:42 AM EST
I cannot tell you.  You may cry.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.
by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 06:57:21 AM EST
Well I don't want to spread rumors, but I heard Drew likes to make girls cry.
by the stormy present (stormypresent aaaaaaat gmail etc) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 06:59:54 AM EST
You women -- all about equality until you actually have to stand up for yourselves.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.
by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 07:07:16 AM EST
You men -- all about equality as long as it doesn't mean equal to you.
by the stormy present (stormypresent aaaaaaat gmail etc) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 07:10:40 AM EST
When you're paying for your half of the dinner bill, then we'll talk.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.
by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 07:11:55 AM EST
Drew, if you wanted to ask me out, you should've just said so.
by the stormy present (stormypresent aaaaaaat gmail etc) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 07:14:48 AM EST
Got me there, babe.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.
by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 07:16:55 AM EST
tsp's into very expensive restaurants, Drew.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 08:30:11 AM EST
Ah, so burgers and hotdogs won't hack it, eh?

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.
by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 08:45:05 AM EST
No, sirree. You've argued yourself into an expensive corner.

(But I'm Superman so I don't care).

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 08:55:57 AM EST
Übermensch beats the crap out of Superman with one arm tied to his back.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 09:00:55 AM EST
Are you Übermensch? Don't waste bandwidth till you know how to make a relevant point.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 09:05:21 AM EST
Admit it... you've been practicing this at home in front of the mirror.
by the stormy present (stormypresent aaaaaaat gmail etc) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 09:07:16 AM EST
I can only assume that I've missed something.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.
by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 09:09:08 AM EST
Afew is taking troll-baiting to a whole new level.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 09:10:32 AM EST
If you knew something about levels I'd listen to you.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 09:13:53 AM EST
You bet, loser.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 09:12:07 AM EST
Hey, afew, easy on the napalm.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 09:13:04 AM EST
All my life.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 09:10:29 AM EST
My agent, afew, will be handling the contract negotiations regarding the type of cuisine and cost thereof, as well as any side agreements over the quantity and quality of the wine that shall accompany said meal.
by the stormy present (stormypresent aaaaaaat gmail etc) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 09:04:41 AM EST
Wine?  I'm afraid Bombay & Tonic is as classy as it gets in the Jones clan.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.
by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 09:08:22 AM EST
15% + expenses.

(And the leftovers).

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 09:09:10 AM EST
10%, and the possibility of leftovers should be considered a performance-based incentive plan.
by the stormy present (stormypresent aaaaaaat gmail etc) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 09:14:17 AM EST
Incentives won't work unless afew wants to be your agent anyway.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 09:18:24 AM EST
Stormy lives in Egypt.  You can't expect people from that part of the world to understand high western concepts like incentives.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.
by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 09:21:51 AM EST
That's why we have to run the show for them.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.
by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 09:24:03 AM EST
That's right, because, you know, we're all genocidal savages in these here parts.
by the stormy present (stormypresent aaaaaaat gmail etc) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 09:25:38 AM EST
I mean, Africa. Eeew.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 09:27:22 AM EST
Well, it could've been worse.  I mean, it's not like she's South American.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.
by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 09:32:50 AM EST
Coming from FloriDUH you should have some respect for South America.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 09:38:25 AM EST
There are no South Americans in FlorDUH.  (Don't insert the "i".  We don't use it.  Arrogant fucking European and your proper pronunciation.  You've been living with the Brits too long.)  Caribbeans and Mexicans only, please.  No sense in bringing those dirty, southern, commie cousins across the border.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.
by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 09:51:42 AM EST
That's exactly what I meant, South America is on a whole different (and higher) league from Florduh.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 09:53:05 AM EST
Well, sure, if you judge us by every middle-aged New Yorker's snotty, retired mother-in-law.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.
by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 09:58:37 AM EST
Now you're being anti-semitic.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 10:02:39 AM EST
Who said anything about the Semites?  That's all you, my friend.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.
by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 10:04:41 AM EST
Oh well. If I told you a 1990 Château Pétrus, you'd only drink it all.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 09:27:14 AM EST
But if you managed to negotiate three bottles into the deal, then I might pass out before I can finish it all, thereby leaving some for you...
by the stormy present (stormypresent aaaaaaat gmail etc) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 09:29:29 AM EST
Look, guys, a passed-out blonde!

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 09:31:28 AM EST
How much do you generally leave on three bottles of Château Pétrus before you pass out?
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 09:38:32 AM EST
There's only one way to find out...
by the stormy present (stormypresent aaaaaaat gmail etc) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 09:39:41 AM EST
If Drew's paying...
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 09:42:09 AM EST
Perfect example of the principal-agent problem.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 09:51:41 AM EST
I'd imagine dragging a drunken, blond stormy around Cairo might be worth the price of the booze, though, if for no other reason than to get the natives' reaction.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.
by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 09:55:27 AM EST
Speaking as a man placed in that position by a binge drinking table dancing English (fitting, eh) girl, not that much fun.

Girl: Carry me I'm drunk.

MfM:Ok, you can't way that much.

And so it beings.  Never carry a women on cobblestones, you can never win, you will drop them.  And that will make the anger (and remember that she was trashed so that's a metaphor also) come out.  And at that point unless you're as drunk as her it no longer seems that much fun.

English women, thank god they like to drink, because otherwise we'd have to hear them speak.

God bless them because they know a good time, and don't need to guarded against like American girls.

MfM: Jesus fucking Christ, Lori come down from the sea wall.

L: I'm just trying to have some fun.

MfM:It's not safe, and I'm not fishing you out of the ocean.

L: Look there's no rail, just that picture of a person swimming on the sign over there.

MfM:Fucking Spanish, no rail, but there is a sign showing a person flailing after having fallen off the seawall.  Catholic country. Need I say more, sensible precautions aren't needed because we can scare the bejesus out of people to keep them in line.

by ManfromMiddletown (manfrommiddletown at lycos dot com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 04:45:38 PM EST
Funny you should tell this story, since I can imagine both female English friends I have doing this.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.
by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Fri Jan 26th, 2007 at 04:48:44 AM EST
English girls are trouble.

But a lot of fun.

The two girls I mentioned above had a way of getting themselves into situations they expected me to help them with.

Case in point.  The American girl started something she had no attention of finishing with this guy at a club, so the place closes out and as we're leaving she comes up beside me and says to hold her hand.  I was sort of pissed at her at the time.  But I agree.

So this guy comes up behind us, and starts talking to her.  She tells him that I'm her boyfriend (a lie and a painful one since she alternately would be my best friend and cold to me.), then he starts chatting it up with this other girl who was out with us.

No dice.

She says that I'm here boyfriend too.

At this point this guy is no longer horny, he's angry at me.  And he starts going on saying "you have two I only want one"  and I'm seriously think that this guy is going to start some shit with me.  I was so pissed at both of these girls that I ditched them both on the way home, and got lost.  I was only wearing a T-shirt, and it was freezing.  So eventually the sun rises and I find my way home past all the ETA inspired grafitti, which is sort of disconcerting until you realize they don't give a shit about you because you're not Spanish.

Later, I would get my troubles for these two the American and the English girl paid back in full.  I was at the Americans flat and hadn't drank water all day long, so I passed out while talking to her.  I left a dent with my chin on her hardwood floors.  I split upon my chin.

So they both babysat me for the next 10 hours at the hospital as I got sewed up.  Funny story, the nurse is telling me I'm going to need 3 puntas stiches, I was a little bit out of it, so I have the two girls with me at the hospital (and a whole fuckin mess of Erasmus students too) and I say to the nurse that I only need one because I've got two putas that's Spanish for bitches, with me.  Like I said I was out of it.

Altogether my experience with Spanish hospitals was ok.  It was only 150 euros for stiches, xray and blood test.

I miss those two girls though.  I said something to the English girl that upset her so we haven't talked since I left Spain.  The two of them became good friends through me, but no dice. The English girl though, if it weren't for the ocean, I would have made it work.

Women. The moment we men condemn them for the troubles they cause us we make ass of ourselves and they pay us back for they things we done for them.

by ManfromMiddletown (manfrommiddletown at lycos dot com) on Fri Jan 26th, 2007 at 06:05:55 AM EST
LOL

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Jan 26th, 2007 at 06:13:21 AM EST

I seem to recall that being in my contract, too, but it has failed to materialize in most cases, and hence my efforts to keep fully stocked with alcohol, nicotine and male friends.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.

by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Fri Jan 26th, 2007 at 07:01:11 AM EST
And, by the way, I'm rubber, you're glue.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.
by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 07:08:55 AM EST
Rubber-brained, maybe....
by the stormy present (stormypresent aaaaaaat gmail etc) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 07:11:53 AM EST
Well, that's probably true.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.
by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 07:17:30 AM EST
Don't!!!!!!!!!!! this might be a good way to get rid of some of the current undercurrents! :-) That is if the culpables show up here.
by Fran on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 06:47:04 AM EST
I love the smell of catharsis in the morning.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 06:48:07 AM EST
Could turn out to be real napalm.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Thu Jan 25th, 2007 at 08:31:35 AM EST