Two comments:

1. I do not see using the ET brand in any way. I was only half-kidding when I suggested "Milo Minderbinder Memorial ...". My sense of ET involvement is to piggyback on the technical structure (e.g., adding a "folder" to the existing blog structure), if allowed, primarily for easy access to the "company's" activities for ET members.

2. I agree with Chris on most aspects of organizational structure, except that we seem to diverge on the necessity of specifying the "relationships" that you mention via bylaws. My vote is for very definite rules, particularly in the case of any fiduciary matters and warranty issues and arbitration of disputes and official roles.

paul spencer
by paul spencer (spencerinthegorge AT yahoo DOT com) on Tue Nov 13th, 2007 at 01:57:44 PM EST
Regarding this blog, I agree with Sven here that we need to set up a separate infrastructure, if the idea takes off.

Operating the 'think tank' from this blog will also bring the association which some here don't want.

by nanne (zwaerdenmaecker@gmail.com) on Tue Nov 13th, 2007 at 02:30:42 PM EST
One aspect of the LLP which I think has not been fully understood, and which applies to ET-type efforts, is that it allows many different legal structures to work together in a way that has not been possible before. So individuals, limited companies, cooperatives, societies, housing associations, parliamentary parties, member web sites, even Boy Scouts groups, can join together in common endeavours as allowed by the individual rules of their incorporation, society, club or whatever.

Of course, each could be contracted to the other in a series of bilateral agreements, but only the LLP allows them to have a single bond that connects them all.

It is my opinion that the broad political influence to which ET aspires requires a lot more than LTEs, and it requires a lot of different skills. Planning, drafting, promoting, spreading, fund-raising, motivating and so on. It also needs different kinds of organization in cooperation to carry out the various tasks involved in turning talk into action.

ET is very good at what it does - dissecting, planning and drafting. And I believe that that role should not be changed. Adding on promotion, spreading, and fund-raising to ET would change it - most likely for the worst. However I see no reason why ET should not be part of a network of different skills who are driven by the same desire for change.

I am not even sure that this grouping of like minds needs a promoted public name ie the name of the LLP. It is more important IMO to expand the skill base than promote a brand. It is also more important to those connected into the network that they are connected, than it is to have a public display of power. It is more of an inward bond than an outward brand.

I've changed my views somewhat over the course of this discussion...

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Tue Nov 13th, 2007 at 05:21:26 PM EST
I like the idea of Milo Minderbinder Memorial LLP.

I think it could even incorporate itself next week, it only needs three members, or thereabouts, and a hundred quid or so.  Then those members can scheme--here!--about how sharing the load is...the future...woooooooooooooooooooooo........  (A 'w' to the power of 23 or so--I learn things!)

Milo Minderbinder Memorial LLP may have an academic element--who knows until it incorporates?

I think there would have to be articles of incorporation, some written text akin to The Principia Discordia

The Principia Discordia

Some excerpts from an interview with Malaclypse the Younger by THE GREATER METROPOLITAN YORBA LINDA HERALD-NEWS-SUN-TRIBUNE-JOURNAL-DISPATCH-POST AND SAN FRANCISCO DISCORDIAN SOCIETY CABAL BULLETIN AND INTERGALACTIC REPORT & POPE POOP.

GREATER POOP: Are you really serious or what?
MAL-2: Sometimes I take humor seriously. Sometimes I take seriousness humorously. Either way it is irrelevant.

GP: Maybe you are just crazy.
M2: Indeed! But do not reject these teaching as false because I am crazy. The reason that I am crazy is because they are true.

GP: Is Eris true?
M2: Everything is true.
GP: Even false things?
M2: Even false things are true.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.

GP: Why do you deal with so many negatives?
M2: To dissolve them.
GP: Will you develop that point?
M2: No.

GP: Is there an essential meaning behind POEE?
M2: There is a Zen Story about a student who asked a Master to explain the meaning of Buddhism. The Master's reply was "Three pounds of flax."
GP: Is that the answer to my question?
M2: No, of course not. That is just illustrative. The answer to your question is FIVE TONS OF FLAX!

I'm thinking there would have to be some underwriting statement.

"All profits are used in the first instance to pay the day to day running of ET."

Zer politics are best dealt with at Milo Minderbinder Memorial LLP HQ--heh...I agree that...okay...I agree to be represented by Milo Minderbinder Memorial LLP agents--secret ones!  Now, if they could pass me some credits I'll be happy to follow the first rule of the LLP.

I suggest painting the picture via a presentation of Milo Minderbinder Memorial LLP - Articles of Incorporation

Articles of Incorporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Articles of Incorporation (sometimes also referred to as the Certificate of Incorporation or the Corporate Charter) are the primary rules governing the management of a corporation, and are filed with a state or other regulatory agency.

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.
by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Tue Nov 13th, 2007 at 06:40:34 PM EST
And if I may be allowed a moment of Cookian visionariness...I believe that these kind of multidisciplinary organizations - that emphasise cooperation over competition - are the answer to the problems of democracy.

What we need to do is to remove the imaginary fences built around corporations, media, consumers, governments, social welfare, religions, academia etc and allow them all to be in the same boat, working together to find better solutions that fit all the problems.

In the long run I see these kinds of vertically/horizontally integrated organizations as being better suited to finding the solutions to sustainability, and probably more efficient in the business sense since what they 'produce' will be pre-sold.

My business of marketing, advertising and communications will die out in its present form. But may re-emerge as 'facilitation' ;-)

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Wed Nov 14th, 2007 at 10:51:43 AM EST
Here's the nub of the problem...

Researchers have found that low self-esteem and materialism are not just a correlation, but also a causal relationship where low self esteem increases materialism, and materialism can also create low self-esteem. They also found that as self esteem increases, materialism decreases.

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Wed Nov 14th, 2007 at 11:04:07 AM EST
Thanks to Sven Trismegist, I finally understood what the LLP is: an entity which removes the imaginary fences built around corporations, media, consumers, governments, social welfare, religions, academia.. In other words a shapeless thing that absorbs everything whatever its nature. It's... The Blob!

"Dieu se rit des hommes qui se plaignent des conséquences alors qu'ils en chérissent les causes" Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

by Melanchthon on Wed Nov 14th, 2007 at 12:24:13 PM EST
Mon ami - your problem can be best dealt with by Whataboutblob - he is trained in these matters ;-)

You can't be me, I'm taken