I have a colleague who was listening to a band on the street, when all of a sudden it was tear gas and rubber bullets. He never quite figured out what was going on, but was pissed about the rubber bullets...there were lots of little kids there. I think it was likely anarchists...

by whataboutbob on Thu May 3rd, 2007 at 08:14:41 AM EST
Anarchists with rubber bullets? Or cops with rubber bullets?
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Thu May 3rd, 2007 at 08:28:44 AM EST
rubber bullets?  I am glad I stayed at home that day.
by zoe on Thu May 3rd, 2007 at 08:45:30 AM EST
I'd rather be hit accidentally by rubber bullets than be cowed by such measures.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Thu May 3rd, 2007 at 09:12:37 AM EST
but being the kind of person who takes an airplane and has the plane catch fire over the ocean, or the brakes fail on my car, or earthquakes when I am on vacation, I wisely chose to take the safe way out.
by zoe on Thu May 3rd, 2007 at 09:28:38 AM EST
and yes, thanks for your first diary!! More to come, hopefully! (And any insights/opinions about Swiss politics will be gratefully received!) Welcome mmmm!

by whataboutbob on Thu May 3rd, 2007 at 09:39:28 AM EST
Could you keep me informed as to your future travel plans...?

by ChrisCook (cojockathotmaildotcom) on Thu May 3rd, 2007 at 11:26:31 AM EST
Well, at least the Blick had some headlines about the riots yesterday. :-)

And welcome to ET mmmm, nice to see another Swiss commenting here.

by Fran on Thu May 3rd, 2007 at 10:58:19 AM EST
well, thank you very much for all your welcoming comments.

I am not Swiss however, Fran.  I just live and work here.  I don't think I'll ever get my tongue around Swiss German.

by zoe on Thu May 3rd, 2007 at 12:30:09 PM EST
cops with rubber bullets. My friend picked one up off the street and showed me...they are long and think, hexagon shaped. Very ugly...

by whataboutbob on Thu May 3rd, 2007 at 09:37:29 AM EST
I was being snarky... ;)

Of course, some kinds of "anarchists" do create violent disturbances. But even they don't fling tear gas and rubber bullets around...

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Thu May 3rd, 2007 at 09:48:46 AM EST