Additional info for the graph: the line marks Obama having equal numbers of votes as Clinton. Above the line: Obama has more then Clinton, below Clinton has more then Obama.

Right?

As can be seen, I am thinking about presentation. The most interesting information is not the line (that the eye is quickly drawn too) but the difference between hand and machine count in same county. Maybe some line to connect hand-machine in same county?

Ok, doing that in my head, I realise it would get messy if you do not remove names of countys. Maybe removing at least one of the names, have a line and mark with a hand in one end and a computer in the other? Or something like that...

by A swedish kind of death on Wed Jan 16th, 2008 at 01:21:01 PM EST
Yeah. Need to remember this is intended to be comprehensible to the people who have real lives, and whose eyes will glaze over with this important but popularly arcane (in fact, incomprehensible) display of data.
The connecting line idea is interesting-- there is a piece of excellent software that evaluates optics for cameras--might work.
hit the link, and then click on testing and performance.

Yes, Mig. (grovel) I'll learn the clean link---tomorrow.
On third thought,-- perhaps a neat way to convey data is beyond our immediate intent. Still, - God, the art is in how you get it across.

Capitalism searches out the darkest corners of human potential, and mainlines them.

by geezer in Paris (risico at wanadoo(flypoop)fr) on Wed Jan 16th, 2008 at 01:41:28 PM EST
I think I have an idea of how to display a slightly different set of data.

Total number of votes on the horisontal axis, percentage difference between clinton and obama on the vertical axis, two colors, county names.

Not the exact same data, but easier to understand.

We have met the enemy, and he is us — Pogo

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Wed Jan 16th, 2008 at 01:52:32 PM EST
Sounds good. Try it.

by geezer in Paris (risico at wanadoo(flypoop)fr) on Wed Jan 16th, 2008 at 02:30:26 PM EST
I did a terrible job on the last comment. Sorry.
My point was that the software uses the same idea- a line connecting two important and related data points and the eye easily sees the relative length , and gets the point. Good interface.

by geezer in Paris (risico at wanadoo(flypoop)fr) on Wed Jan 16th, 2008 at 01:54:09 PM EST
You know what the difference is between that "testing/performance" data set and mine? That in their data set the pairs of points are much closer together than two distinct pairs are to each other so there are no crossing lines. In my case, adding lines would have been an incredible mess, especially with the labels.

I have improved the chart slightly but I think I will make the other I suggest in the thread.

We have met the enemy, and he is us — Pogo

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Wed Jan 16th, 2008 at 02:08:04 PM EST
Yaas.
Back to clean links. --Tomorrow.

by geezer in Paris (risico at wanadoo(flypoop)fr) on Wed Jan 16th, 2008 at 02:38:39 PM EST