How many addicts like their engagement with reality just the way it is and aren't trying to change it?
by ThatBritGuy (thatbritguy (at) googlemail.com) on Thu Nov 20th, 2008 at 04:48:31 PM EST
"engagement with reality" is a seriously fragile foundation to be resting an argument upon - I think.

Come, my friends, 'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
by poemless on Thu Nov 20th, 2008 at 04:55:25 PM EST
a seriously fragile foundation to be resting an argument upon

Speaking of reality or any one's awareness (and "engagement") with it: Arendt described "reality" best, I think, simply by acknowledging in her works the mechanical (or perceptual) limitation of verification, essential to trust (equilibrium).

I cannot know what I cannot see. (tautology)

I cannot see what I do not know.

I cannot know what is not here.

Reality --events both worldy and mental-- is ahistorical and atemporal. One cannot be everywhere at once in order to verify what is true, what is false. The true fact one cannot verify everywhere at once does not preclude reality. It merely necessitates entrusting another. That is to assign verification of a person, process, or thing
by one's self to one or more agents (person, process, or thing).

All rationality --justified true belief-- depends on this "fragile" foundation of verification in order to explain itself to one's self.

Diversity is the key to economic and political evolution.

by Cat on Fri Nov 21st, 2008 at 03:18:07 PM EST
Not really. It just means being aware of predictable consequences.

Addicts and libertarians alike either don't believe in consequences, don't want to believe in consequences, or believe that consequences don't apply to them.

by ThatBritGuy (thatbritguy (at) googlemail.com) on Fri Nov 21st, 2008 at 04:37:51 PM EST
Well, yes, as my guru says: 'Life is a Learned Behaviour Disorder'.

To the extent that we are all behavioural 'addicts', yes, being behavioral means that you don't like change.

And all of us tend to the behavioural. It's what the conscious mind really likes - logical predictability. But that is an imposition upon reality. Perfectly valid, of course, but a limit on the capacity of the mind to feedback on itself. Another word from my guru (who is, of course, me)  - If you can't laugh, you can't live'.

Thus Surrealism...

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Thu Nov 20th, 2008 at 05:28:03 PM EST
well, some find a cobbled equilibrium in self medicating that seems better than the alternatives, but probably everyone has a secret -or not- desire to be strong enough to resist temptations, especially those so unpopular!

some people are just plain comfortable in their misery.

fear of change, and masochism have their roles in this mix.

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Wed Dec 3rd, 2008 at 03:58:43 PM EST