Ah, heuristic.

Diversity is the key to economic and political evolution.
by Cat on Wed Dec 3rd, 2008 at 08:10:58 PM EST
Oh, I meant to add: Let us ponder, too, as long as we approach with bated breath the classical paradigms of democracy, euhemerism.

Diversity is the key to economic and political evolution.
by Cat on Wed Dec 3rd, 2008 at 08:16:17 PM EST
Ah!  I can only--at one thirty am UK time, and in return, offer you this, a favourite youtube of mine, a crazy ride on the sax of John Coltrane--I don't know your musical tastes, hope you like:

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.

by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Wed Dec 3rd, 2008 at 08:30:43 PM EST
Ellington and Coltrane (1962) on vinyl (stolen from a parent) is one of my most cherished possessions. Along that line, I'm mighty partial to Toots, too. I've got that E/C CD too somewhere... and I wish I could hear this YouTube track you selected. Alas, my machine audio of YouTube is out two weeks now. I suspect the GOOG has officially purged support of certain browsers. Assholes. (you. cannot. make. me.) I'm sure it's nothing IP personal.

Anyway, rg, it's the thought that counts. Thank you so much. And good night ;)

Diversity is the key to economic and political evolution.

by Cat on Wed Dec 3rd, 2008 at 09:39:05 PM EST
I love the video .. thanks for posting.
by abarefootboy (richardbohn a ( in a cirlcle ) comcast dot net) on Tue Dec 9th, 2008 at 12:40:33 PM EST

Migeru also offered me (us!) a good word:

Maieutics

I'm still stuck with thesis-antithesis-synthesis, waiting for synthesis to arrive...oh so slowly!  When, if synthesis is the aim, why not cut out the five and...oh...the ten..."I win, you lose; you're dead, I win"

Great care must be given when employing a heuristic algorithm. One common pitfall in implementing a heuristic method to meet a requirement comes when the engineer or designer fails to realize that the current data set doesn't necessarily represent future system states.

While the existing data can be pored over and an algorithm can be devised to successfully handle the current data, it is imperative to ensure that the heuristic method employed is capable of handling future data sets. This means that the engineer or designer must fully understand the rules that generate the data and develop the algorithm to meet those requirements and not just address the current data sets.

Those future data sets....

Hey, you found it in one!

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.

by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Wed Dec 3rd, 2008 at 08:23:29 PM EST

Herd Immunity .. Filling the Gaps