I wrote 'most'.

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Thu Dec 4th, 2008 at 01:36:09 PM EST
The list was not meant to be exhaustive, and already includes a lot of people, and if all these can do it, why couldn't many others if asked to do so?  So there's no reason to suppose "it wouldn't work in our culture".

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner - that I moved to Nice.
by Ted Welch (tedwelch-at-mac-dot-com) on Thu Dec 4th, 2008 at 04:15:32 PM EST
I was speaking of the 'compass' method of discussion. I have never seen it in operation. But from what I understand of how it is conducted, it is not a rhetorical form of discussion.

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Thu Dec 4th, 2008 at 04:29:35 PM EST
This seems to be a rhetorical reply - confuse the issue :-) I know what you were referring to - the issue was not whether or not it was rhetorical, but whether or not you were justified in claiming it wouldn't work in our culture.

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner - that I moved to Nice.
by Ted Welch (tedwelch-at-mac-dot-com) on Thu Dec 4th, 2008 at 05:29:58 PM EST
Cows can certainly fly, if taken as freight on an airplane.

Our w*estern culture - for want of a better description - has not used such a multidimensional fixed position structure of equals in formal decision-making, as far as I know. Naturally that lack of use does not mean that such a structure be forever incapable of being tested or adopted. It just hasn't been yet.

Thus my doubts that it could work in our culture, where decision-making has been practiced in various adversarial forms for several millennia. It's a different mindset, like the difference between an axonometric or perspective proscenium view.

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Thu Dec 4th, 2008 at 07:03:28 PM EST
Despite the waffle :-)  - it comes back to this: "It's a different mindset". I gave just some examples showing that it wasn't, and if those people can do it in our culture, others can too. Simple point really. Want to go round again - without the irrelevant similies ? :-)

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner - that I moved to Nice.
by Ted Welch (tedwelch-at-mac-dot-com) on Thu Dec 4th, 2008 at 07:37:37 PM EST
Going by the spirit of debate, I suspect you and Sven have a difference on what 'it' is. Arguing the other side is something that I could see being manageable for a lot of people. Certainly those who actively engage in politics. But it doesn't necessarily get you out of the two dimensional style of adversarial debating.
by nanne (zwaerdenmaecker@gmail.com) on Fri Dec 5th, 2008 at 06:07:33 AM EST