The only real course of action we can to help settle this is to chop her head off and dissect her brain to see what happened.

I didn't get from what she said that she'd had any problem with her corpus collosum--that intrigued me simply because I'd never heard of it before (me learn slow!)--and I'd never seen how separate the two hemispheres are--I thought there was a thin membrane between the two halves across which passed information--that was my model, rather than what I (think I) saw: two separate organs joined by a bridge (like having two kidneys sort of thing--if they were communicating via a cross-connection.)

Certainly if I were a reseacher and could contact her I'd ask if we could run some tests where she could (if I've read her right, of which I'm not sure)--flip hemisphere approach (I'm assuming that she doesn't switch one off and the other on; rather, she can access data predominantly with the 'all together' right side or with the 'me and everything else' left side.)  So she should be able to score differently on the same test, maybe in three ways: more right brain, more left brain, balanced central point--I mean, if she has a meta-position she can call "I" which exists somehow beyond the left-I and the right-I, then that super-I should be able to jink around with the tests in such a way to demonstrate....that fact...

All I know about her is the video, so if anyone knows more--please post!

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.

by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 at 08:06:48 AM EST
"Information" is a loaded word.  Better to say the cc passes signals between the hemispheres.

by ATinNM on Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 at 03:45:36 PM EST
Okay, but aren't signals a form of information?  (If it contained no information could it be called a signal?)

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.
by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 at 03:48:01 PM EST
Yes, in the sense of signal processing.

You could calculate the information entropy of the signal. If it is low, it's basically noise.

It'd be nice if the battle were only against the right wingers, not half of the left on top of that — François in Paris

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 at 04:02:39 PM EST
Ah, Shannon.

Yes.  No.  Maybe.  Perhaps.  It all depends.

LOL²

But what kind of noise?  (It comes in designer colors, you know!  :-)

by ATinNM on Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 at 04:26:36 PM EST
Information entropy can only be calculated with reference to a specified neutral distribution, something people are fond of omitting.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 at 04:29:25 PM EST
Good point.

And that triggers a discussion of Frames of Reference.

Let's not Go There.  (I promise not to if you won't.  ;-)

by ATinNM on Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 at 04:40:30 PM EST
Let's not, though I still have to PN your comment about the logistic equation.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 at 04:46:18 PM EST
So when do I get to read the Frames of Reference diary?

The diary being the first frame of reference, or....

We act within frames of reference, and I've understood both your comments so far.  Are there some terrible equations you are both thinking of?

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.

by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 at 07:52:42 PM EST
Migeru, this is why I felt you should have written the diary.

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.
by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 at 08:13:31 PM EST
"should" in the sense of "more intriguing for me"

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.
by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 at 08:13:53 PM EST
No!  No!  You have this whole other angle is what I mean, and in a diary I'd see it better, maybe.

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.
by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 at 08:15:01 PM EST
Hmm, you say that in response to this Shannon nonsense?

The information entropy of the signals crossing the corpus callosum seems to me a sideshow, and one I know nothing about in the first place.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Mon Mar 24th, 2008 at 05:55:39 AM EST
Well, I must have read and not understood what I was reading.

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.
by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Mon Mar 24th, 2008 at 07:44:43 AM EST
We can avoid discussing Frames of Reference™ by focusing on relative entropy or mutual entropy between two probability distributions.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Mon Mar 24th, 2008 at 05:59:33 AM EST
Don't know enough about entropy to be able to contribute to a discussion.

Perhaps kcurie will weigh in?

by ATinNM on Mon Mar 24th, 2008 at 12:47:18 PM EST
So do I get this right:

Low(er) entropy is noise--no/low information?

So high(er) entropy is the existence of/more information?

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.

by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 at 07:49:54 PM EST
Gah, I got it backwards - low entropy = high information = signal; high entropy = low information = noise.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 at 08:30:44 PM EST
In Shannon's Information Theory entropy is the smallest message that can carry a give unit of information.

See the wikipedia entry.

by ATinNM on Mon Mar 24th, 2008 at 12:19:44 AM EST
Ah yes, terrible (for me!) equations:

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.

by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Mon Mar 24th, 2008 at 07:47:41 AM EST
That's a definition, not an equation.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Mon Mar 24th, 2008 at 12:27:22 PM EST
The definition is an equation

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.
by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Mon Mar 24th, 2008 at 03:22:55 PM EST
But the equation has no information on the left hand side, and there is nothing to solve for.

That it's an equation is not your problem, your problem is it's a formula.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Mon Mar 24th, 2008 at 03:31:29 PM EST
My problem is I don't understand it, except that it has an equals sign in it (I thought equation came from to equal so if there's an equals sign....heh...my lack of knowledge!)

Also, it says "Shannon's Entropy Equation" just above it.

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.

by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Mon Mar 24th, 2008 at 03:58:56 PM EST
Did you stop as soon as you hit the first formula?Information entropy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Information entropy is characterised by these desiderata:
If you like, every time you see a formula read it aloud as "wowowowowowow" and say to yourself "oh my god, that sounds like a golden retriever". And move on. Don't let the fact that you don't understand one formula stop you fron reading what comes after.

Example: in

Maximum

Hn(p1, ..., pn) ≤ Hn(1/n, ..., 1/n)

the formula Hn(p1, ..., pn) ≤ Hn(1/n, ..., 1/n) is shorthand for The measure should be maximal if all the outcomes are equally likely (uncertainty is highest when all possible events are equiprobable). So there is no information lost by not reading the formula.

There is only loss of information when the formulas are strung together in a derivation where each formula implies the next. there is nothing of the sort in this particular wikipedia article (which is rather bad, IMHO).

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Tue Mar 25th, 2008 at 06:10:30 AM EST
That's the question I've spent 35 years trying to answer and here is the results of my labors:

Yes.  No.  Maybe.  Perhaps.  It all depends.

LOL