Ah, Shannon.

Yes.  No.  Maybe.  Perhaps.  It all depends.

LOL²

But what kind of noise?  (It comes in designer colors, you know!  :-)

by ATinNM on Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 at 04:26:36 PM EST
Information entropy can only be calculated with reference to a specified neutral distribution, something people are fond of omitting.

It'd be nice if the battle were only against the right wingers, not half of the left on top of that — François in Paris
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 at 04:29:25 PM EST
Good point.

And that triggers a discussion of Frames of Reference.

Let's not Go There.  (I promise not to if you won't.  ;-)

by ATinNM on Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 at 04:40:30 PM EST
Let's not, though I still have to PN your comment about the logistic equation.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 at 04:46:18 PM EST
So when do I get to read the Frames of Reference diary?

The diary being the first frame of reference, or....

We act within frames of reference, and I've understood both your comments so far.  Are there some terrible equations you are both thinking of?

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.

by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 at 07:52:42 PM EST
Migeru, this is why I felt you should have written the diary.

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.
by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 at 08:13:31 PM EST
"should" in the sense of "more intriguing for me"

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.
by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 at 08:13:53 PM EST
No!  No!  You have this whole other angle is what I mean, and in a diary I'd see it better, maybe.

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.
by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Sun Mar 23rd, 2008 at 08:15:01 PM EST
Hmm, you say that in response to this Shannon nonsense?

The information entropy of the signals crossing the corpus callosum seems to me a sideshow, and one I know nothing about in the first place.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Mon Mar 24th, 2008 at 05:55:39 AM EST
Well, I must have read and not understood what I was reading.

Don't fight forces, use them R. Buckminster Fuller.
by rg (leopold dot lepster at google mail dot com) on Mon Mar 24th, 2008 at 07:44:43 AM EST
We can avoid discussing Frames of Reference™ by focusing on relative entropy or mutual entropy between two probability distributions.

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Mon Mar 24th, 2008 at 05:59:33 AM EST
Don't know enough about entropy to be able to contribute to a discussion.

Perhaps kcurie will weigh in?

by ATinNM on Mon Mar 24th, 2008 at 12:47:18 PM EST