Are you implying that pursuing legal action against Don Cherry would be warranted?

The Hun is always either at your throat or at your feet. Winston Churchill
by r------ on Mon Apr 7th, 2008 at 10:24:13 AM EST
I think so in certain cases.  Don't you?
He could certainly be charged with incitement to violence.
by zoe on Mon Apr 7th, 2008 at 10:34:33 AM EST
Not at all.

I think frankly the notion that this is even remotely something to be considered undermines the whole point of free speeck and respect.

The Hun is always either at your throat or at your feet. Winston Churchill

by r------ on Mon Apr 7th, 2008 at 10:38:07 AM EST
well I'm all for free speck
by zoe on Mon Apr 7th, 2008 at 10:41:49 AM EST
speck is bacon in german
by zoe on Mon Apr 7th, 2008 at 10:42:15 AM EST
perhaps instead of pointing out my typo, you could explain what Don Cherry has done in your view which would warrant legal action under Canada's hate speech laws, and frame this in a way which would indicate you are conscious of the fact that any organization who might do so would likely utterly undermine its credibility in the court of Canadian opinion, likely irreversibly.

The Hun is always either at your throat or at your feet. Winston Churchill
by r------ on Mon Apr 7th, 2008 at 10:50:42 AM EST
I don't know what your background is, but you seem to be familiar with Don Cherry's work.

you don't seem to realize that the CBC has already discredited itself in the eyes of the French speaking part of the country by continuing to give Don Cherry a platform from which to spread his racist views.

There's a segment on the RDS network that has a person dressed like Cherry say the most vile and ridiculous things and is considered a comedy segment during the first intermission of the RDS hockey games.

The discreditation of the CBC by that segment of the population doesn't seem to count to you, however.

by zoe on Mon Apr 7th, 2008 at 11:00:57 AM EST
too multicultural, perhaps?
by zoe on Mon Apr 7th, 2008 at 11:02:57 AM EST
i watch the canadiens on rds, every single match almost.

i have no idea what you are talking about.

The Hun is always either at your throat or at your feet. Winston Churchill

by r------ on Mon Apr 7th, 2008 at 11:08:00 AM EST
I can't seem to find the name of the series, but my friends assured me that it was going on - maybe on Radio-canada.
by zoe on Mon Apr 7th, 2008 at 12:21:08 PM EST
ah, sure thing, when in doubt, pull something out of your butt and when called on it, "a friend assured me".

I watch src and listen to radio-canada too. every day.

Again, I don't know what you are talking about. No doubt it was a sketch or two like on english language 22 minutes or air farce, in reaction to some of the outrageous things Cherry sometimes says. This is in no ways a support for going after him for hate speech, like you suggest. And, as a franco with lots of family in quebec, I recognize nonetheless that sometimes when he goes off the rails it's because of moronic complaints, from a certain kind of quebecker, in the Montreal press, like complaints along the lines of Saku Koivu not speaking french so he shouldn't be captain or some other similar bullshit.

But a regular item? No way. Complete fabrication.

Anyhow, there's no hockey on src anymore, hasn't been for a long time, it's all on rds or ris now, and on rds or ris, what you say happens, doesn't, it's still demers, pedneault and brunet on the plateau every entracte.

seriously, saying Don Cherry deserves to be prosecuted under hate speech legislation - that's some serious dose of whack here you're serving.

The Hun is always either at your throat or at your feet. Winston Churchill

by r------ on Mon Apr 7th, 2008 at 12:41:39 PM EST
nope.  I remember reading about it as well.  I just don't seem to have any luck with google.

and how can you even think that French Canadians are cool with Don Cherry when he regularly insults them as a group?

by zoe on Mon Apr 7th, 2008 at 12:50:13 PM EST
I watch Don Cherry, I love Don Cherry, and I am French.

Maybe you've been able to piece together some of this already in this thread. I'd be happy to point you in the direction of some of my posts, on this site, where I link to Don Cherry video. In fact, I just did last week.

I don't have a problem with Don Cherry. I think he's funny, and even I understand when he pisses me off and I don't agree with him what his point is and that he has a right to express it.

Is this hard to understand?

Man, people should lighten up. And we wonder why the left gets such press as being just so many bedwetters.

I suppose you'll watch this video and decide Don Cherry is also a homophobe...

Or, maybe because he seems so comfortable joking around and getting so playfully phyisical with a gay man on TV, you take this as an affront to the sensibilities of homophobic Islamists in Canada, of which there are more than a few, and who deserve to have their intolerance of homosexuality respected?

The Hun is always either at your throat or at your feet. Winston Churchill