Welcome to European Tribune. It's gone a bit quiet around here these days, but it's still going.
... Sweden or the Netherlands. Once you are legally a permanent resident, you are free to move to and live in any other EU country, if you can find work there. And if the bureaucrats give you any shit about it, you sue. There's an absolutely ironclad precedent from the European Court.

Precisely what happens if you lose your job in the new country of residence without being a full citizen yet isn't quite clear to me. But as long as you're a legal permanent resident (of one of the "old" EU countries - the "new" ones have special rules...), and you have a job, you should be home free.

(Disclaimer: IANAL and this is not legal advice. Contact your local immigration NGO - they know the rules.)

- Jake

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Sat May 30th, 2009 at 06:13:30 AM EST

Others have rated this comment as follows:


Occasional Series