Shouldn't we make a decision ?

The majority expressing a preference (unchanged recently) are for Paris (surprise!) and for reasons discussed above (easier booking, cheaper; Paul Spencer's trip; the Montmartre festival), the weekend starting Fri Oct 11th would seem to be preferable.

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner - that I moved to Nice.

by Ted Welch (tedwelch-at-mac-dot-com) on Sun Jul 7th, 2013 at 09:18:27 AM EST
Sound good to me, or it would if I could afford the trip. At least it's far enough in the future that I can pretend I'll be able to save enough for it. (Currently middle class broke: worrying how will I pay for the horses and can I afford a trip to Paris?!)
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Sun Jul 7th, 2013 at 01:21:11 PM EST

Sorry to hear that. I remember you being very generous with a drinks bill at the Paris meetup a few years ago. Happy to buy you some drinks if you do make it (maybe a lucky horse :-)).

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner - that I moved to Nice.
by Ted Welch (tedwelch-at-mac-dot-com) on Sun Jul 7th, 2013 at 02:38:12 PM EST
It's not as if we're worrying how to feed the children or ourselves and it's largely a consequence of Sam starting up her own practice so it's not even externally imposed, so sorry isn't really necessary: thanks anyway. It's just a pain in the ass for the duration. I could really do with a trip to civilisation though. Sitting in the provinces is only partly offset by the net.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Mon Jul 8th, 2013 at 04:22:46 AM EST
Feeding the children. I had told Elder Daughter I was cutting off her allowance for the summer, I expected her to get a job, any job. She got a good one, then it fell through at the last minute (bastards, she had turned other work down in the meantime) so now she's scrounging for hours of menial work.

So I may have to give her some money, not budgeted, which will be a strain... Oh well, middle class lifestyle choices. She can live for free at my place if she wants.

It is rightly acknowledged that people of faith have no monopoly of virtue - Queen Elizabeth II

by eurogreen on Mon Jul 8th, 2013 at 06:23:48 AM EST
An important life lesson: Your job offer is not real enough to turn down other offers until you have a binding contract.

This is one most of us need to learn the hard way.

- Jake

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Mon Jul 8th, 2013 at 01:13:44 PM EST
This requires somebody to volunteer for handling the practicalities.

Had we chosen a Danish or German location, that someone could have been me. But my French is only barely good enough that I can get by when I am able to make up the deficit with points and grunts. And unhappily I lack a modem that accepts that input syntax.

- Jake

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Sun Jul 7th, 2013 at 04:19:05 PM EST
OK, I'll volunteer.

Will post new thread.

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Tue Jul 9th, 2013 at 05:33:02 AM EST
Somebody should bump this diary up. It's so far down that I only noticed this comment by chance.

That weekend seems fine right now. There seems to be reasonable hotel availability online.

by gk (gk (gk quattro due due sette @gmail.com)) on Mon Jul 8th, 2013 at 04:59:52 AM EST
Done.