I would rather not read this kind of language at ET. It conveys a sense of frustration and intolerance that I regret. And on which far right types certainly rejoice.

luis_de_sousa@mastodon.social
by Luis de Sousa (luis[dot]de[dot]sousa[at]protonmail[dot]ch) on Tue Jan 31st, 2017 at 01:40:06 PM EST
There's a guy sitting at the emperor's left hand who openly consorts with actual heiling Nazis, and a guy sitting at his right hand who wants to turn the US into Saudi Arabia with a Baptist voiceover.

Intolerance and anger are entirely appropriate responses to those facts.

- Jake

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Tue Jan 31st, 2017 at 11:44:48 PM EST
Then click the next diary.

But don't speak on what the far-right types here rejoice at, because we know them better than you.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.

by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Wed Feb 1st, 2017 at 01:00:26 AM EST
Just politely pointing out that even if Luis is young enough to have avoided them, Portugal has known fascism in o not so distant past: they do remember.
by Bernard on Wed Feb 1st, 2017 at 10:09:50 AM EST
You add arrogance to bad language. What do you exactly intend to achieve that way?

I see the hatred on the other side. I do not wish to be like them.

luis_de_sousa@mastodon.social

by Luis de Sousa (luis[dot]de[dot]sousa[at]protonmail[dot]ch) on Wed Feb 1st, 2017 at 02:31:13 PM EST
I haven't written on Trump since his election, and it is not out of shame that I called it wrong.  It is simply that I don't know what to say that has not already been said by those closer to the action. The sense of anger and frustration and grief coming from every political activist in the US that I know is palpable and deep. I feel I am almost intruding on private grief if I comment seriously or engaging in Schadenfreude if I seek to make light of it. The parallels with the 1930's which are being drawn don't seem over-blown.

I think we can forgive some intemperate language here; the consequences for all could be very real, and political activism isn't all about being cool and analytical and detached. When the time comes, a comprehensive political programme will be drawn up to right some of these wrongs in 2018 and 2020. Right now it is a time for anger.  Let it flow.

Index of Frank's Diaries

by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Wed Feb 1st, 2017 at 07:59:38 AM EST
It is one thing to be angry, another to be arrogant and unbred.

luis_de_sousa@mastodon.social
by Luis de Sousa (luis[dot]de[dot]sousa[at]protonmail[dot]ch) on Wed Feb 1st, 2017 at 02:35:18 PM EST
...  and unbred.

And here I thought it was a comment regarding one's gene pool and DNA base pairs.  I checked the definition at http://www.dictionary.com/ .  Carry on ... cream pie, anyone?

They tried to assimilate me. They failed.

by THE Twank (yatta blah blah @ blah.com) on Fri Feb 3rd, 2017 at 04:44:35 PM EST
Louis, I can assure you that that is NOT the case with Drew, whatever his behavior. As Johnny Cash wrote, "Momma tried, momma tried." Daddy too! And he is very well educated. Even if I don't always agree with him. I blame football and his addiction to hating opponents. :-)

"It is not necessary to have hope in order to persevere."
by ARGeezer (ARGeezer a in a circle eurotrib daught com) on Fri Feb 3rd, 2017 at 04:58:17 PM EST
Er, ARG, where do you think the football and hating opponents came from?

You forget my dad was at FSU in the early-'70s, when it was (and still is!) The Berkeley of the South.TM ;)

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.

by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Sat Feb 4th, 2017 at 12:37:49 AM EST
It is one thing to be angry, another to be arrogant and unbred.

"Unbred," from the guy who tried to get after me years back for having a "girl's name".  That's pretty rich.

Arrogant, I'll grant you though.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.

by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Sat Feb 4th, 2017 at 12:35:40 AM EST