Thanks, Drew.  I share your anger. I'm completely enraged by this, but you know, I was already aware there were a ton of shitty right-wing voters who would vote for any Republican, and I was also aware there would be dormant racist voters who crawled out of the woodwork because they had their man, but I wasn't quite aware of how fucking ugly and moronic a big chunk of the left was going to be.  And I would think that after a catastrophe of this magnitude, maybe the ones who spend all their time attacking Democrats would stfu and do a little navel-gazing of their own, but apparently not.

Maybe we can eventually make language a complete impediment to understanding. -Hobbes
by Izzy (izzy at eurotrib dot com) on Mon Jan 30th, 2017 at 10:02:52 AM EST
I'm especially enjoying the  people - predominately old white guys - talking about how this is fine, because he'll destroy the system and then the revolution of <insert favoured hobby horse here> can happen.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Mon Jan 30th, 2017 at 10:35:11 AM EST
Nach Trump wir.
by generic on Mon Jan 30th, 2017 at 10:45:15 AM EST
Right.  The "If he just destroys the system, then people will finally realize that (whatever dumb ideology I subscribe to that doesn't involve boring, plodding implementation of worthwhile policy) isn't stupid and the glorious revolution will be on" types.  As a few tens of thousands die from losing their health care each year.

Or, my personal favorite, the deluded idiots -- many on our side of the aisle -- who still think there's some kind of Earth-2 Trump who's going to hammer The BankersTM rather than give them tax cuts and gut the regulatory regime and save us from Earth-2 Hillary, who's...I don't know, apparently giving handies to Lloyd Blankfein.

St Ralph Nader's babbling about Trump and single-payer health care being the prime example.

It's impressive.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.

by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Tue Jan 31st, 2017 at 12:46:07 AM EST
The longer it takes for the underlying problems to be addressed the worse each rightward swing of the pendulum will become. If this isn't bad enough, just wait. It will not be sufficient to elect another Obama, as much of a relief as that would be - for so long as it lasts.

"It is not necessary to have hope in order to persevere."
by ARGeezer (ARGeezer a in a circle eurotrib daught com) on Tue Jan 31st, 2017 at 03:30:30 PM EST
Privilege is believing politics happens to other people.

I have to skip over most leftist fb commentary from guys I don't know on fb - all those well honed political views are just status displays and it uncomfortably reminds me of my of myself in my early to mid 20s.

you are the media you consume.

by MillMan (millguy at gmail) on Tue Jan 31st, 2017 at 02:40:56 AM EST
Forgive yourself -- when we're young it's normal to be idealistic and easy to believe these problems, that are so obvious and simple-seeming, can be fixed if enough people just say it loud enough. Especially if we're living in areas where we're not really witnessing the extremes of the process.

We took a hit on the youth vote this election cycle, but I don't really blame the young people for that, I blame the old fucks who claimed to have all the answers and told them the only reason things were bad was some fairy-tale version of politics where the problems were caused by some ruling elite in a smoke filled room deciding on coronations.

by Izzy (izzy at eurotrib dot com) on Tue Jan 31st, 2017 at 04:41:58 AM EST
Frank - what exactly is your problem with this comment?

by Izzy (izzy at eurotrib dot com) on Thu Feb 2nd, 2017 at 10:30:46 PM EST
None.  Since the demise of Tribex it is v. easy to mis-rate a comment by pressing page down or down arrow after you have clicked on 4.  My apologies.

Index of Frank's Diaries
by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Thu Feb 2nd, 2017 at 10:35:20 PM EST
Ah, thanks for the explanation.  I was unaware of the glitch and was puzzling over which part offended you.

by Izzy (izzy at eurotrib dot com) on Fri Feb 3rd, 2017 at 12:05:22 AM EST
Good to see you posting again, Izzy.
by Bjinse on Mon Jan 30th, 2017 at 08:40:57 PM EST
Hi Izzy, good to see you back.
How have you been?
by Bernard on Mon Jan 30th, 2017 at 08:42:50 PM EST
Thanks.  Not sure I know how to answer that. I've been... ok?  If you can call it ok that I'm seething with rage and am sickened by the human race

by Izzy (izzy at eurotrib dot com) on Mon Jan 30th, 2017 at 09:28:37 PM EST
Don't forget that most of the human race don't support Trump and more and more are looking for ways to oppose him.

Index of Frank's Diaries
by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Mon Jan 30th, 2017 at 10:13:01 PM EST
If you think I "forgot" that, you're seriously misreading the situation.  In fact, it is the very thing that's enraging me. That fact that the majority of people COULD HAVE banded together and stopped this but didn't, is the worst part of the whole thing.

The fact that a whole bunch of people who claim to be my allies devoted a lot of time and effort into tearing down the other candidate and actively silenced anyone trying to make the case for her so that stupid people never heard the message, the fact that they actively bullied people and are now actively misrepresenting the situation, insisting on dominating the narrative, a calling for idiotic prescriptions to "fix" the problem that they themselves have been busy creating is why I'm seething.

Reminding me that they don't support the monster they helped elect is no comfort whatsoever.

by Izzy (izzy at eurotrib dot com) on Mon Jan 30th, 2017 at 10:55:37 PM EST
Perhaps not even half of the US electorate. Unfortunately, even if that is the case, they didn't show up at the polls in Nov. '16. True believers will remain fervent, but a large portion of the swing voters who supported Trump might just well have a different response in '18 and '20.

"It is not necessary to have hope in order to persevere."
by ARGeezer (ARGeezer a in a circle eurotrib daught com) on Thu Feb 2nd, 2017 at 05:58:55 PM EST
We certainly will not have a different outcome if a significant portion of white progressives keep siding with Republicans as identifying Democrats as the problem and attacking them as enemies instead of standing with them as allies.

by Izzy (izzy at eurotrib dot com) on Thu Feb 2nd, 2017 at 10:29:21 PM EST