I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, at the lack of reaction here to my inclusion of a link to an astrological site in this bastion of reasoned discourse. It's almost the first time I've read the stuff, and it has a language all of its own. Most of the 200+ comments are from ardent Brexiteers and I cannot help feeling they are projecting their own biases into whatever charts they are constructing. That and some home spun economics and the de rigour criticisms of the Brussels bureaucracy and lack of EU democratic accountability seems to make up the sum total of their insights, all coming from a very UK centric view point of view for all the supposed universal applicability of their "science". Anybody else got a more informed take on this?

Index of Frank's Diaries
by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Wed Sep 5th, 2018 at 07:32:33 PM EST
You've read 200 comments? From Brexiters? About astrology?

Have you considered hitting yourself on the head with a hammer? Surely, it has to be less painful...

by Bernard on Wed Sep 5th, 2018 at 08:15:41 PM EST
The things I do for my readers as a public service...

Index of Frank's Diaries
by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Thu Sep 6th, 2018 at 12:19:23 AM EST
You need to have yourself checked out.  It scares me the number of brain cells you probably just killed.
by rifek on Thu Sep 6th, 2018 at 05:52:55 PM EST
Second, each of the world's nations is traditionally assigned to one of the signs of the zodiac. The United States, for example, is a Gemini nation; England is Aries; France is Leo, China is Libra, Russia Aquarius, and so on.

"and so on"? Well, I never!

Have the number of nations decreased or have the number of astrological signs increased?

You wouldn't catch me paying for a chart from this one. Nope.

Diversity is the key to economic and political evolution.

by Cat on Wed Sep 5th, 2018 at 09:39:02 PM EST
Maybe it repeats?
by generic on Wed Sep 5th, 2018 at 10:05:09 PM EST
possibly. But who wants to be assigned to PISCES?

Diversity is the key to economic and political evolution.
by Cat on Thu Sep 6th, 2018 at 12:13:51 PM EST
That raises the intriguing notion that there are astrologers you would pay for a chart

It is rightly acknowledged that people of faith have no monopoly of virtue - Queen Elizabeth II
by eurogreen on Thu Sep 6th, 2018 at 10:32:03 AM EST
I did! Once for my new baby. Make of that what you will.

Diversity is the key to economic and political evolution.
by Cat on Thu Sep 6th, 2018 at 11:03:18 AM EST
Did it prove to be i) accurate, and ii) helpful? Was the astrologer influenced by your natural anxiety for the welfare of your new baby?

Index of Frank's Diaries
by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Thu Sep 6th, 2018 at 11:11:17 AM EST
(i) I don't know. I lost it sometime between Y1 and Y2. iirc, it described temperamental changes and interactions with others. The last time, before today, that I wondered where it might be was after my child attained puberty.
(ii) See (i)
(iii) See (i)

The first two years was a um confusing period. My fears and ambitions were allayed over time with regular income and infant bowel movements (seriously, that was a significant concern, 8mo - 12mo but did not necessitate hospitalization, only PediaLite dosages). I'm almost certain though that the chart did not predict this or other typical, semi-medical emergencies that arise and which no one prepares one for. Older, more experienced people usually have something to say during and after the fact.

Diversity is the key to economic and political evolution.

by Cat on Thu Sep 6th, 2018 at 12:04:00 PM EST
Having had three kids and now two grand kids I am always amazed at the number of minor medical emergencies parenthood entails. How they manage to turn out all right after all the crises is a source of bewilderment and bewonderment to me - almost enough to make me consult an astrologer, - but not quite!

Index of Frank's Diaries
by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Thu Sep 6th, 2018 at 03:23:10 PM EST

I can't say. I never met or communicated with the astrologer in person. Our data transaction was wholly initiated and completed anonymously, electronically.

Diversity is the key to economic and political evolution.

by Cat on Thu Sep 6th, 2018 at 12:09:18 PM EST
England is Aries

As are Palestine, Israel and Syria. But Scotland is Cancer. On the other hand, the UK is Capricorn. This is confusing.

Is Crimea Leo or Aquarius?

by gk (gk (gk quattro due due sette @gmail.com)) on Thu Sep 6th, 2018 at 12:29:05 PM EST
What's Wales?

Diversity is the key to economic and political evolution.
by Cat on Thu Sep 6th, 2018 at 12:51:01 PM EST
Gemini
by gk (gk (gk quattro due due sette @gmail.com)) on Thu Sep 6th, 2018 at 12:51:50 PM EST
PREPOSTEROUS.
Virgo.
very slow acting, those types.

Diversity is the key to economic and political evolution.
by Cat on Thu Sep 6th, 2018 at 12:53:35 PM EST
The comments are stock Brexiter thinking. I'd guess they're nothing to do with astrology.

As it happens I know an astrologer. I showed her the post and she said "That's not the Brexit chart."

So there's that. Then she looked at the Brexit chart, and said that this is an example of some very long cycles. Apparently the last time it rolled around the UK had a mad king and lost the War of Independence with the US. And the time before that Henry VIII was about to cut ties with the Pope and start the English Reformation, followed by a bit of monastery robbing. And the time before that was the last crusade in which England played a significant role.

Make of that what you will. She also said that this time there was a serious danger of an absolutely crushing loss of international power and prestige - like the War of Independence, but far worse.

She also sent me this, which made me laugh, so I'll post it here:

Relevant to the UK now

by ThatBritGuy (thatbritguy (at) googlemail.com) on Thu Sep 6th, 2018 at 12:50:59 PM EST
So the long and the short of is that every few hundred years the UK (or more precisely, England) goes a little mad and goes on some crazy escapades which break previous relationships, and these generally do not go all that well, although they do usher in a much changed era.

"England" has a need to express itself differently and independently from Rome, Europe or the colonies etc. and is not averse to some looting and pillaging at home or abroad. Brexit as a "absolutely crushing loss of international power and prestige" sounds about right...

Index of Frank's Diaries

by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Thu Sep 6th, 2018 at 03:35:47 PM EST

Astrology or not, she might be on to something.
by Bernard on Fri Sep 7th, 2018 at 08:19:37 PM EST
We'll see about that!
GEMINI MATCHED WITH ARIES
(needs 10-year chart)

Diversity is the key to economic and political evolution.
by Cat on Fri Sep 7th, 2018 at 08:35:35 PM EST
I live in a country where 67% of the population believe an invisible bearded Sky Daddy created the human species.  I've become jaded to public demonstrations of the Knowledge and Critical Thinking Skills of medieval peasants.

by ATinNM on Thu Sep 6th, 2018 at 04:14:36 PM EST
80% of the population believe

• a Myers-Briggs Type Indicator measures personality
  • an IQ test measures intelligence level
  • a BMI caliper measures body mass
  • an FBI background investigation measures security risk
< wipes tears >
- corporations are not people

Diversity is the key to economic and political evolution.
by Cat on Thu Sep 6th, 2018 at 05:25:31 PM EST
It's also a country where most of the population prefer a falsely precise sounding 67% to a more accurate "about two-thirds".
by gk (gk (gk quattro due due sette @gmail.com)) on Thu Sep 6th, 2018 at 07:28:32 PM EST
For Darwin Day, 6 facts about the evolution debate

Roughly six-in-ten U.S. adults (62%) say humans have evolved over time, according to data from Pew Research Center's Religious Landscape Study. But only a little more than half of them (33% of all Americans) express the belief that humans and other living things evolved solely due to natural processes

100% - 33% = 67%

by ATinNM on Fri Sep 7th, 2018 at 02:47:44 AM EST
touché

Diversity is the key to economic and political evolution.
by Cat on Fri Sep 7th, 2018 at 12:36:49 PM EST