Tue Nov 29th, 2005 at 05:16:04 PM EST
From the front page ~ whataboutbob
2005 is coming to an end, I guess we will only see one politically motivated assassination, one natural disaster and maybe one or two major scientific revelations which we will forget immediatly. But: Are you pleased with your activism record this year? Did you do enough good deeds this year? Well, here are sume suggestions for those who are still in need to spend their extra-time for the good of mankind:
- Support gay rights in Poland. The new nationalist-conservative extremist government in Poland is cracking down on gays and lesbians brutally. Now, the Polish gay community is calling for support. There were demonstrations in Warsaw, Berlin and in London. If you want to do something good: Stage a little event at your next Polish consulate.
- Support Amnsty International's campaign for the Russian-Chechen Friendship Society (RCFS) --> [here]
- Help to find out more about the EU's Regional Shelter Programme. Apparently, the EU is stteing up camps whereby refugees will be given accommodation "near home." The first of these "Regional Shelter Programmes" will operate in Tanzania and the Ukraine, but later they will be extended to Moldova, Belarus, Afghanistan, Somalia and North Africa. It is a response to the deaths in Ceuta and Melilla. I really would like to know more about these camps.
- Save our seas with Greenpeace
- Breath some life into the campaigns on the EU constitution. Sign up [here]. Or, when your are wrong, sign up [here] for the NO campaign.
- Do something on the real hunger crisis in Niger. In example donate at the British Red Cross
Please add more suggestions.