Calling All World Historians

by Nonpartisan Sat Dec 2nd, 2006 at 05:12:14 PM EST

Dear EuroTribbers,

Over the past few days, I've seen two of the best history diaries I've ever read.  They've both been at European Tribune.  I've known about EuroTrib since it was founded, but I had no idea the quality of writing to be found here.  Color me impressed -- and hungry for more!

I'm the proprietor of another community site, ProgressiveHistorians, now three months old.  Our mission is the intersection of history and politics from a lefty perspective.  However, our writings so far have focused overly much on American history -- mostly because I and several of the frontpagers are American historians.  I've been looking for more work from non-American historians, as well as more readership from the rest of the world.  From what I've seen here, I think that many of you would fit right in at ProgressiveHistorians.

So here's my invitation to you: come on over and join the history fun!  Over the flip, I've reproduced part of my initial post inviting folks to come visit the site.  Hope to see you around!

P.S. I'll be posting some of my own stuff over here, too, when appropriate.

ProgressiveHistorians is an online forum for history enthusiasts -- with or without academic training -- to discuss history and politics from a liberal perspective.  Built with SoapBlox technology, we are an official spinoff site of My Left Wing, another fantastic blog community run by the inimitable Maryscott O'Connor.

Now, I know what you're thinking.  (I am clairvoyant, after all.)  You're intrigued, but you just don't have time to participate.  "Why another blog?" you muse.  "I'm already part of so many.  Why do I need another?"  In answer, I'm going to quote from our Mission Statement, the entirety of which is available here:

To many Americans today, history has become the study of obscurity, the prerogative of trained scholars, the prisoner of an enforced neutrality.  History has been pigeonholed, overprofessionalized, and defanged as an agent of social change.  Historians have never commanded so little respect as they do now; likewise, history as a discipline has never seemed so remote, so otherworldly.

All of us who are involved in online political activism are here to speak truth to power; many of us came to the blogosphere through the Dean campaign, an organic popular movement that encouraged us to "take our country back."  While we at ProgressiveHistorians view our country through the specific lens of history, our goal remains the same: to take back our discipline, and by extension our country, by expanding it -- by opening it to those not formally trained in historical scholarship, and by encouraging its practitioners to view engagement with today's political climate as a necessary and welcome addition to historical analysis. ...

America needs a new kind of history - one bold, open, and critically engaged with the present day.  A history that is open to all who seek to learn about themselves and to dialogue about their insights with others.  A history that never forgets that the purpose of the past is to inform the present so the future can be brighter.  The mission of ProgressiveHistorians is to aid in fostering that history.  With any luck, what we say and do here will have an impact on the American historical profession as well as on our collective understanding of our past, and will pave the way for a better, more enlightened tomorrow.

Someday, I hope, all the disciplines will have their own online homes where issues and ideas can be freely discussed by people from all walks of life.  But for now, there's only one: ProgressiveHistorians.

See you there!

by Nonpartisan on Sat Dec 2nd, 2006 at 05:12:57 PM EST
I'm wondering... Are these up to standard?

Those whom the Gods wish to destroy They first make mad. -- Euripides
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Sat Dec 2nd, 2006 at 05:24:05 PM EST
A pleasure

I therefore claim to show, not how men think in myths, but how myths operate in men's minds without their being aware of the fact. Levi-Strauss, Claude
by kcurie on Sat Dec 2nd, 2006 at 08:08:57 PM EST
by Nonpartisan on Sat Dec 2nd, 2006 at 11:03:05 PM EST
Now I know where to dump my History of Probability Theory term paper from 7 years ago... :-P

Those whom the Gods wish to destroy They first make mad. -- Euripides
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Sun Dec 3rd, 2006 at 03:05:19 AM EST
Ecco fatto.

Those whom the Gods wish to destroy They first make mad. -- Euripides
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Sun Dec 3rd, 2006 at 05:51:00 PM EST
is a wonderful community. I'm sure the members here would have great material to contribute.

Intrepid Liberal Journal
by Intrepid Liberal Journal on Sat Dec 2nd, 2006 at 05:32:15 PM EST
We actually have had a number of awesome historical articles posted here over the last 18 months...so it would be nice to see cross-postings to each blog! Thanks for the invitation!!

by whataboutbob on Sun Dec 3rd, 2006 at 04:06:23 AM EST
By the way, your first link to your site doesn't work, but I was able to get through to your site via the link in the extended text. Don't know why...but if you (or someone) wants to fix it, you may have more traffic.

Cheers!

by whataboutbob on Sun Dec 3rd, 2006 at 04:09:07 AM EST
by Nonpartisan on Sun Dec 3rd, 2006 at 04:46:54 AM EST
Maybe we should make a separate (or parallel) listing of historical diaries on the wiki, in addition to politics and policy by country.

Those whom the Gods wish to destroy They first make mad. -- Euripides
by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Sun Dec 3rd, 2006 at 03:50:08 PM EST
One of the effects I expect to see a lot more of, is the crosslinking of specialized communities like ET and PH into even bigger communities.

The question is how this linking can be lubricated. The most common approach is some kind of digest of links. We already have a Booman Tribune Front Page pull down at the top of this page. (Is that still going to remain under the site changes we foresee?)

Would not our old soon-to-be-empty ad column to the left be the perfect place for a link list? Especially if it were community maintained.

You can't be me, I'm taken

by Sven Triloqvist on Sun Dec 3rd, 2006 at 05:07:25 AM EST
Of course we already have a news digest of this type every morning - called 'Breakfast with Fran and Friends' ;-)

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Sun Dec 3rd, 2006 at 05:09:29 AM EST
yeah, the one with "Galileo invented the telescope in 1621." Jeez!
by messy on Sun Dec 3rd, 2006 at 09:04:40 AM EST
It's OK to be on the ball - just don't think that means you can run over people with it ;-)

You can't be me, I'm taken
by Sven Triloqvist on Sun Dec 3rd, 2006 at 02:08:51 PM EST
ProgressiveHistorians is a fine place, with lots of fascinating stuff to read. There's already some cross-over between communities, ET and PH.

I have just come back from posting the first part of the Libération series over there.

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Sun Dec 3rd, 2006 at 02:56:37 PM EST
We had one historian poster here, MarekNYC, but unfortunately, he seems gone. (He didn't even answer an email, I hope nothing happened to him.)

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.
by DoDo on Sun Dec 3rd, 2006 at 03:42:56 PM EST
So.  We meet again, nonpartisan... ;-)

Seriously, best of luck -- with the exception of one small quibble, it's an excellent blog!

Maybe we can eventually make language a complete impediment to understanding. -Hobbes

by Izzy (izzy at eurotrib dot com) on Sun Dec 3rd, 2006 at 05:39:15 PM EST