Palestinian bloggers protest Daily Kos

by shergald Tue Oct 26th, 2010 at 10:04:19 AM EST

....subtitled, goodbye Tom J, who recently joined "the banned" at Daily Kos.

Strikes of political blogs are generally only symbolic protests and this one is no different. A week ago, a Daily Kos diarist was banned from the site by an administrator, for no apparent reason, which ticked off Arab and Palestinian bloggers, and their sympathizers. So one of them called for a strike, and others joined in.

The banning was of Tom J. Tom J was a regular diarist at Daily Kos who provided factual diaries about daily events taking place in Israel and Palestine against its indigenous inhabitants, the Palestinians. Diaries about the effects of Israel's occupation, the enforced colonization it has been conducting for over 40 years, stories about killings, house demolitions, wrecking of farmlands and orchards, and deprivation of water resources, all for the purpose of expanding Jewish settlements, the towns and cities Israel has built over the years on stolen Palestinian lands.

Tom J provided a daily account of the horrors taking place through news stories, pictures, and videos, the kind of reporting that is usually censored from mainstream US media. Without implying conspiracy, Tom J is also the proprietor of the site, STOP AIPAC.

By simply revealing the reality, Tom J continually disturbed the large gang of right wing Zionists who blog at Daily Kos, viewed his diaries as Israel-bashing, and him as part of the "Israel is always wrong" crowd. However, under the brutal conditions of the Palestinian occupation/colonialism, there has never been an "Israel is right" diary posted on Daily Kos  that justified Israel's behavior toward the Palestinians. Diaries about left wing peace activism inside Israel or Palestine or in the US, especially among Jewish peace groups like Jewish Voice for Peace, recently condemned as anti-Israel by the ADL, have always been considered Israel-bashing, strange as it may seem.

HERE is the proposal to strike Daily Kos by a Palestinian member, simone daud, previously known as the Palestinian Professor (annotated):

I'm now calling a strike of Arab participants on dailykos, until Meteor Blades (administrator) explains the banning of Tom J and why this ongoing disruptive behaviour and anti-Arab viciousness is allowed to persist in these threads.

The strike will last a week to the morning of 30th October.

Non-Arab participants are welcome to join the strike (some like Assaf, a Jewish Israeli and peace activist, did).

by simone daud

RESPONSE

We are definitely being personally abused in every essay.

I'm not feeling very welcome here.

The people that show up on every essay speaking to, and showing video of the crisis in Palestine get verbally abused and have their essays derailed by a vocal few who are trying to eliminate any Free Speech on the subject.

It is horrific when humanitarians and Peace Activists get shouted down by name calling and vile comments.

Tom J was a brilliant writer and a man concerned with our relatives there.

I had my ratings taken away months ago for uprating something by sheer accident, after removing it an apologizing for the scroll over. They were never returned.

I feel it is because I am an openly Arab man of Palestinian descent who speaks against the atrocities in Palestine.

But I am loathe to be silenced by those who throw "anti-semite" around to defend a Government that has run as far right amok as the Bush administration and beyond.

Let me sleep on this Simone.

by Peacenick

Other responses to the call to strike can be read at the link.

Tom J will undoubtedly become just another one of the more than 35 bloggers banned from Daily Kos in the past few years for advocating for the Palestinian cause for freedom and self-determination. In the same period, only two right wing Zionist bloggers, an obvious troll and a self-described jazz singer, have been banned. Daily Kos, it seems, has made a choice, not to advocate for democratic principles supported by say a Jimmy Carter, but to follow Steny Hoyer-like Democrats, the AIPAC fawns in Congress, by suppressing information about the truth about what is going on in Israel-Palestine. Diaries such as this one, Israel/Palestine News, by Friendlystranger, showing the reality on the ground may continue to be posted, but for doing so, he and others can expect to be banned.

So be it. As these bloggers fall, more and more will rise up to take their place.

We have discussed this on several occasions, each time making explaining why it should be bleeding obvious why this situation exists on dKos and yet, on each occasion, you singularly fail to get the point.

So I'm not gonna say it again. It's not Kos, it's you. Deal with it.

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Tue Oct 26th, 2010 at 12:28:23 PM EST
"each time making explaining why it should be bleeding obvious why this situation exists on dKos and yet, on each occasion, you singularly fail to get the point."

Maybe I missed it or each of them. Can you provide the links to these or that explanation, and why it exists on DKos, and why I'm the only one not to get it?

The links, please, so we can get out of this interminable meta crap.

by shergald on Tue Oct 26th, 2010 at 01:19:21 PM EST
No, you didn't miss it, you simply failed to accept/understand it. it's futile discussing it with you.

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Tue Oct 26th, 2010 at 01:23:17 PM EST
Let's just leave it there, then, shall we. By the way, I noticed that you failed to recommend this diary on your way out. In Japan, this would be considered very bad manners.

by shergald on Tue Oct 26th, 2010 at 02:03:11 PM EST
Irrelevant, you're not Japanese.

I think you'll notice that I hardly ever recommend. Mostly because I'm lazy/don't think of it. But also because I recommend comments and diaries that I think are above average and worthy of note. The routine donation of recommendations devalues the entire concept. If all are deemed excellent, how shall we determine which stand out form the mundane.

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Tue Oct 26th, 2010 at 02:32:53 PM EST
Sometimes a recommendation is not about the merits of a diary but about the cause it represents. It is like agreeing or disagreeing with that cause.

by shergald on Tue Oct 26th, 2010 at 04:28:25 PM EST
You are free to respond in any way you choose for whichever reasons motivate you. As am I. I have given you my reasons and they are neither better nor worse than yours; simply different.

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Tue Oct 26th, 2010 at 04:41:52 PM EST
It is possible to recommend a diary based on agreement with its agenda. But it does not follow that not recommending a diary is an expression of disagreement with the diary's agenda, since agreement with the diary's agenda is neither a necessary nor sufficient condition for recommendation.

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Tue Oct 26th, 2010 at 09:08:13 PM EST
Bwahahahaha.

I removed my recommendation on account of this idiocy. What makes you think you're entitled to recommendations?

Of all the ways of organizing banking, the worst is the one we have today — Mervyn King, 25 October 2010

by Migeru (migeru at eurotrib dot com) on Wed Oct 27th, 2010 at 04:11:14 AM EST
Daily Kos is not a liberal blog, it's a Democratic Party blog, so your problem is with the Democratic Party, not with Daily Kos.

While it might be useful to point this out to people who still think it's a liberal blog, most people over here have figured it out - that's one reason why we're here, and not over there.

by gk (gk (gk quattro due due sette @gmail.com)) on Tue Oct 26th, 2010 at 01:27:39 PM EST
I would have to disagree with your distinction between liberal and Democratic party ideals, because as far as I can tell, you are implying that support for the disenfranchisement of the Palestinian people, the occupation and colonization of their lands, is a Democratic value.

That is untrue.

by shergald on Tue Oct 26th, 2010 at 02:00:58 PM EST
Examples please, of mainstream Democratic politicians, holding elected office, who think (or al least claim to think) otherwise.
by gk (gk (gk quattro due due sette @gmail.com)) on Tue Oct 26th, 2010 at 02:06:03 PM EST
Not certain I understand the question: example of a left wing or liberal Democrat, Feingold, Wisconsin; example of a centrist Democrat, Evan Bayh, Indiana.

by shergald on Tue Oct 26th, 2010 at 02:12:37 PM EST
I thought it was clear that I meant give an example of a Democrat who does not agree with the party line on I/P. As for Feingold, for example, is this what you had in mind?
The signatories praised what they called "the extraordinary measures taken by the Israel Defense Forces to minimize civilian casualties," acknowledged the State Department for publicly raising its significant concerns about the report, and called upon the Obama administration to "denounce the unbalanced nature of this investigation." Among the 32 signatories were such leading Democratic liberals as Carl Levin (D-MI), Barbara Boxer (D-CA), Barbara Mikulski (D-MD) , Ron Wyden (D-OR), and Russ Feingold (D-WI).
by gk (gk (gk quattro due due sette @gmail.com)) on Tue Oct 26th, 2010 at 02:27:51 PM EST
Well, you sort of didn't ask about congressional members who were not AIPAC influenced, just liberals versus others. Take the late Ted Kennedy, the liberal's liberal. He was likewise an Israel first Democrat.

And so there are liberal exceptionalists who are also part of the DKos community. That's not the point. Hypocrisy exists perpetuated by fear of retaliation by the Israel Lobby. We can speak on these small blogs because we are not so influenced. We have a choice and can remain true to principles.

by shergald on Tue Oct 26th, 2010 at 04:22:40 PM EST
Just one question: is ET a left-wing liberal site? And if not what party or parties are generally supported here, and not supported?

At Booman, we don't seem to have a problem making such distinctions, even though you don't have to be a liberal to belong.

by shergald on Tue Oct 26th, 2010 at 02:07:54 PM EST
Given the huge differences in political definitions between the US and Europe it's often hard to answer that one definitely; even if were possible to say that ET contributors share a coherent political philosophy.

I'd generally say we were left of centre and anti-authoritarian while being extremely skeptical of the influence of money on the political process.

To bring this more to the point, we're broadly supportive of justice for Palestinians and feel that the IP situation is highly asymmetric. But that doesn't mean we're gonna go crackers when dKos continues its entirely understandable policy of ignoring it.

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Tue Oct 26th, 2010 at 02:27:39 PM EST
But DKos does not ignore it as its policy is not understandable. Kos is not running for some office so that pandering to the right wing Zionist who populate his site is unnecessary. I say that not knowing anything about Kos' income situation, and how it would be affected. Blog entrepreneurs are what they are.

by shergald on Tue Oct 26th, 2010 at 04:26:11 PM EST
We have explained why it is understandable, you simply choose to discount that.

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Tue Oct 26th, 2010 at 04:39:47 PM EST
I would suppose that when you count over 35 bloggers banned for proPalestinian advocacy, and only two banned who are against it, you just have to admit, you don't understand. And that sometimes means we don't understand the underground, those things that go on behind the scenes that motivate such behavior, especially on a Democratic blog.

by shergald on Tue Oct 26th, 2010 at 05:30:42 PM EST
hahaha, that's funny

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Tue Oct 26th, 2010 at 05:46:02 PM EST
Daily Kos stated purpose is (iirc) to get Democrats elected.

And every time it comes down to policy discussions that might harm short term election gain for the Democratic party, Kos chooses to shut it down. For example, Jerome had one where he wanted to discuss policy after a democratic victory, but that was not deemed possible to discuss until the election was won, as it might cost votes. And after it was to late, as the recently elected safely ignores anyone who does not even buy them lunch when proposing their policies.

By self-selection those left at the site are thus people who agree with that purpose.

by A swedish kind of death on Wed Oct 27th, 2010 at 02:34:11 PM EST

Well, by self-selection and by having people who fail to toe the party line evicted.

Which, given the relationship between the Kossacks and the Democratic Party insiders (the kind analysis is that the Kossacks are gaining status within the machine; the unkind analysis is that they have been co-opted), is neither surprising nor particularly odious.

What would be odious would be claiming that it doesn't employ their editorial control to push the party line. Because that would be untrue.

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Wed Oct 27th, 2010 at 02:42:40 PM EST
I disagree.  I'm still there and many others who find it to be a flawed but still useful place.  I has the virtue of volume, though the strained logic to defend the Obama administration's adoption of Bush's policies has splintered the site.

I/P diaries there generally result in the same people saying the same things and there seem to be no practical ways to influence a change.  I don't know that the perception is true, but that is the perception-as I perceive it.

"I said, 'Wait a minute, Chester, You know I'm a peaceful man...'" Robbie Robertson

by NearlyNormal on Wed Oct 27th, 2010 at 02:53:16 PM EST
The IP conflict is an ongoing drama that is unfolding every day. And yes, it sounds the same everyday, because the injustices just continue everyday.

Would that be a reason to forget say, Darfur, as a same old same old conflict that never changes? Think not.

by shergald on Wed Oct 27th, 2010 at 03:19:25 PM EST
can you point out to me where I said we should "forget" the struggle that is going on in the Middle-east?  Reading a bunch of diaries that are polemical in nature is not a requirement for not forgetting something.  Print an article that shows a realistic way forward and I'll read and recc it.

by NearlyNormal on Wed Oct 27th, 2010 at 03:45:16 PM EST
Sorry if I wrongly implied that, but I do agree that the same defenses of Israel are mounted day after day.

In this matter as with others relating to human rights, we have a choice: get tired of it and become silent, or make noise. I prefer the latter. When was the last time we heard anything about the military dictatorship in Myanmar (Burma)? And even Darfur has slipped off the screen.

by shergald on Wed Oct 27th, 2010 at 05:29:23 PM EST
I don't quite get that or the attitude that shergald should drop it or shut up. It's not like electrons are expensive or take away from your ability to use some.

I, for one, don't like DKos for other reasons, though probably should have realized that this kind of thing would be a logical extension. But had no idea that this type of thing goes on there specifically. So, I appreciate it being brought up and pushed often, especially since I guess I didn't see it the first eleventeen times it got to be irritating to others.

Never underestimate their intelligence, always underestimate their knowledge.

Frank Delaney ~ Ireland

by siegestate (siegestate or beyondwarispeace.com) on Tue Oct 26th, 2010 at 05:10:31 PM EST
It is possible that I have posted previous diaries about this kind of behavior at DKos that I just don't recall. But when it happens with such blatancy again and again, it needs to be brought up.

And thanks for your supporting this need. When the left wing gets pretentious, it deserves to be unveiled.

by shergald on Tue Oct 26th, 2010 at 05:34:06 PM EST
No, it's not that s/he should drop it or shut up, it's that the discussion never goes anywhere.

The point that dKos discourages IP discussions gets raised as some sort of outrage. Several of us point out that dKos has compelling domestic reasons to do so, that because of this dKos moderators make the policy very plain and warn people and remain ruthless in clamping down any IP eruption.

These are known issues and I know that several others as well as myself have repeated them to shergald on several occasions. I don't know why dKos' policy still comes as a surprise but I feel compelled to point out that we've had the discussion before and we didn't agree last time and that this outrage, seeing as we've had it before, is somewhat confected

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Tue Oct 26th, 2010 at 05:44:18 PM EST
Yeah, yeah. So let's have that discussion again. Is there anything ever posted here that isn't a rehashment of things past?

Even discussion of wind turbines and energy gets old, and let's not forget European trains and the photos. How many times do we have to see Wales in autumn? And don't say you don't like it.

by shergald on Tue Oct 26th, 2010 at 08:56:45 PM EST
The more you write here, the less I'm interested in the plight of the Palestinians. You have quite a way to turn people against you and your cause.

Maybe if you dropped the sanctimonious holier-than-thou tone, I might be interested in what you have to say. As things stand, I mainly read your diaries for the entertainment value of watching you find new silly accusations against ET or ETers and generally making a fool of yourself. But otherwise they are pretty much a total waste of space and time.

And if you keep on annoying the regulars, whose contributions I value and respect more than yours, then my benign attitude towards you would not continue.

Wind power

by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Wed Oct 27th, 2010 at 03:14:24 AM EST

Maybe that's his/her real goal? You shouldn't connect the two. I at least can dissociate the cause of the Palestinians from one single poster's persistent bad way of news blogging and preference for meta discussions and flame wars that have nothing to do with the purportedly championed cause of Palestinians.

*Lunatic*, n.
One whose delusions are out of fashion.

by DoDo on Wed Oct 27th, 2010 at 06:19:38 AM EST
You're right, of course. Let's just say that shergald's not helping the Palestinians.

Wind power
by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Wed Oct 27th, 2010 at 06:52:23 AM EST

Maybe that's his/her real goal?

Yes, I've sometimes wondered about that. But like you, I have a position that is centred on the actual situation rather than moderated by the arguments of those who purport to support the palestinian people

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Wed Oct 27th, 2010 at 06:52:36 AM EST
Did you find out whatever happened in the seal death investigation and the source of this anti-Green violence against nature?

by shergald on Wed Oct 27th, 2010 at 03:21:42 PM EST
by Jerome a Paris (etg@eurotrib.com) on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 05:23:13 AM EST
No I didn't either. My point all along was that the seal issue is a green versus green one, both of which I support, and that it would be in the best interest of both causes to resolve any conflicts.

Sorry that you took it as defensively as you did. But it doesn't help the wind turbine industry to find out that it may be endangering wildlife if that is the case. Shark attacks was the latest theory about the seal deaths I am aware of.

by shergald on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 10:03:46 AM EST
How nice to notice that your memory for past discussions has returned.

That must surely be because this seal subject is an off-topic diversion, unlike Helen's on-topic opening comment on this thread, in response to which you had a monstrous memory fail and demanded links.

Oh, but I'm forgetting: you decide what to post, how and when; you decide what is on or off-topic; and you remember what you want to remember and forget what you want to forget.

And of course the main thing: you're not really interested in dialogue with anyone here, you just use the place as a bulletin board.

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 10:26:25 AM EST
When the dialog becomes substantive and on target, it is always responded in a similar vein. Helen was pure meta and as far as I can tell, so were all the other comments. If you can show me even one content oriented remark, I'd be happy to look it over.

But I've been here before, so save your time.

by shergald on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 01:05:18 PM EST
Helen:
it should be bleeding obvious why this situation exists on dKos ... It's not Kos, it's you.

But since you've been here before, why not save your time and ours and leave?

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 02:51:26 PM EST
No one has ever asked that anyone comment on these diaries. If the point of these meta spirals and ad hominem attacks is to get people to stop posting on ET, than you and the other clique members should say so and use your banning privilege.

This is the smallest blog I would bother coming to and it would not be a loss to me. The loss would be yours.

by shergald on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 02:55:23 PM EST
If it's no loss to you, just go.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 03:01:45 PM EST
And PS: When you deprive someone of posting privileges, such as Fairleft, you have essentially banned them. Stop kidding yourself, This is no leftwing or left of center blog. Try reading your sister site, Booman, sometime to learn what those terms really mean.

by shergald on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 03:36:46 PM EST
Very few people have been banned here over five years, but it has happened. Jerome is telling you that in his comment above, whereupon you intelligently ask him about seal deaths.

Never mind. You have all those much bigger, much leftier blogs that welcome your contributions, so you won't miss a little place like this, will you?

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 03:58:28 PM EST
Okay, where's your site meter? It would help to guage the trouble it takes to spend time here.

And how about letting the lurkers have a say in this matter. They are the largest group by far who tune in here. Don't pretend to speak for them.

by shergald on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 04:43:01 PM EST
shergald:
Don't pretend to speak for them.

You, of course, are entitled to do that.

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 04:45:47 PM EST
shergald:
This is no leftwing or left of center blog.

Oh. My God! Here I was thinking ET was a progressive blog!

Please, tell us what we should do to deserve the coveted Sherleft & Fairgald True Left-Wing Blog label (apart from an automatic reclist for your diaries).

"Ce qui vient au monde pour ne rien troubler ne mérite ni égards ni patience." René Char

by Melanchthon on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 04:41:04 PM EST
"Sherleft & Fairgald True Left-Wing Blog?" I like it, I like it. Could you by any chance draw my attention to the latest Darfur diary to appear on ET? After which I will give you a rating on the leftward spectrum. This will permit many people to understand themselves and what they really are.

by shergald on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 04:46:29 PM EST
shergald:
This will permit many people to understand themselves and what they really are.

Who appointed you to be Saint Shergald, Missionary to the Heathen?

Stop preaching.

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 04:49:35 PM EST
Shergald has been appointed blogger in partibus infidelium by the Holy Church of the True Left...

by Melanchthon on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 05:05:52 PM EST
Okay let's get a hold of ourselves, me too. Let me first apologize to the train affectionados, and confess, I like the pictures. But as a bus person, let me say that there is a definite anti-bus bias on this site. Have you noticed too? So let me challenge the train enthusiasts to come up with a bus diary, that shows the great advances in bus technology. I am speaking here of course about the seats. Last time I too a ride, it ended up with a good case of hemorroids. But improvements are being made, aren't they? You know, now I have even forgotten the topic of this diary, so we are back to Helen. Please no!

by shergald on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 05:21:17 PM EST
I translated your subquote:

"What comes into the world to disturb nothing deserves neither respect nor patience." René Char

So you got it all along. I'm here to disturb something and I deserve respect and patience. So let's have it.

by shergald on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 05:26:36 PM EST
First, don't mistake bothering for disturbing.

And you're making a logical error: René Char says that what disturbs nothing deserves neither respect nor patience. That doesn't mean everything that disturbs deserves respect and patience...

By the way, I think I (we) have shown respect and a lot of patience towards you, even while you might not have deserved it...

by Melanchthon on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 05:55:58 PM EST
Thanks for your patience. It would have been entirely unnecessary if you just didn't choose to partake in the useless meta dialog that has again attended on of my diaries.

In another context, say Daily Kos, such attention would be considered just another diary hijacking with the usual ad hominem. Even Migeru might have maintained his recommendation, and the other recommenders would not have had their ticks deleted by administration. Maybe it is just a case of getting bored and needing a little bit more excitement on ET.

Glad to give it, but again, I would just stay away. The messages I send are usually in the title, and its reading is enough.

by shergald on Fri Oct 29th, 2010 at 10:17:59 AM EST
shergald:
the other recommenders would not have had their ticks deleted by administration

That is technically impossible - but your assertion is above all a smear on the editorial team here.

Time for you to go, shergald.

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Oct 29th, 2010 at 10:24:10 AM EST

And again you beclown yourself (what a great expression - that may well be among your five most useful contributions to this site).

Site management cannot wipe individual ratings and recommendations. The software does not work that way. When you wipe out ratings, you wipe out the whole rating history of the user in question (or maybe only those who are less than a month old - I don't know the precise details).

The messages I send are usually in the title, and its reading is enough.

Thank you for this explicit admission that you are in persistent violation of European Tribune etiquette.

You're advertising, not contributing.

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Fri Oct 29th, 2010 at 10:25:56 AM EST
Demand respect? Oh do Fuck off.

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
by ceebs (ceebs (at) eurotrib (dot) com) on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 09:26:11 PM EST
shergald:
No one has ever asked that anyone comment on these diaries.

I am glad to read that, given the fact that you keep whining about too little interest raised by your diaries and complaining they are not recommended with remarks like "for those who are interested in human rights"...

Many of us are interested in the Israel - Palestine issues and aware of what's happening. I, for one have been closely following these issues for 40 years. But you behave like you were the only person in the world aware of the problem and keep lecturing us with holier-than-thou comments that do not help the cause you pretend to defend. We don't need no preachers here.

As I already told you: were you trying to focus on things we don't already know, like initiatives to find solutions to the conflict, you would certainly have more success. When (too seldom) you do so, your diaries do not raise criticism, although too often you can't refrain from making aggressive comments towards ET and ET users.

This particular diary presents no onterest for us: it is meta about another website. Whatever one can think of DKos policy on Israel - Palestine diaries and comments, I don't see what is the interest of posting a diary about it on ET.

by Melanchthon on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 04:24:37 PM EST
I haven't seen any of this interest in the IP conflict here among members as you claim. I'm it. If you know the particulars about IP, then you also know that news censorship in the US and here in Europe is a problem, and one major reason why this conflict continues.

I would not have guessed that Europeans are less interested in censorship than Americans.

Now that we are opening our souls, may I say that I have no interest whatsoever in trains. Yet people come here and persistently post diaries about them. Can someone get on this problem?

by shergald on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 04:39:35 PM EST
We certainly do not claim to be representative of "Europeans".

These Europeans might be interested in Middle-East issues, but not in the way you present them in your diaries...

I already told you that there is little censorship about Israel and Palestine in the European media and blogosphere. That doesn't mean everything is fair and balanced, though.

If you aren't interested in trains, just don't read the train diaries...

by Melanchthon on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 04:51:00 PM EST
I'm fairly sure your meta posts are doing the Palestinians no end of good as they're brutalised by the Israelis.

Why have a go at Israeli bulldozers when you can have a go at us here on ET?

by ThatBritGuy (thatbritguy (at) googlemail.com) on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 05:11:35 PM EST
One does what he can, even if it is only blog publicity. Sorry that I can't do more, but I do what I can. I blog for Palestine. If it were not for the fact that the Israeli government cares that people all over the world are talking about its treatment of the Palestinians, and the disgusting philosophy that supports that treatment, I might withdraw.

But not until it makes no difference whatsoever.

Periodically, Brit, from time to time, people learn about the reality, and join in a protest in London in front of the Isreali Embassy. Perhaps next time we'll see you there.

by shergald on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 05:42:32 PM EST
Clue => attacking ET is in no way, shape, form or co-topology related to blogging for Palestine.
by ThatBritGuy (thatbritguy (at) googlemail.com) on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 10:16:42 PM EST

Since you don't seem to actually read any content here apart from your own, that may not be the fault of the other contributors.

What we mostly are not interested in is a blow-by-blow account of the turtle's eye view of the conflict. There are organisations dedicated to recording and documenting the minutia of ongoing conflicts - so-and-so many deaths today, so-and-so many people disappeared this month, etc. And while these functions are valuable and important, European Tribune has neither the technical capability, the staff nor the inclination to join them. We do economics very well, and will contribute more to the human condition by continuing to do economics very well than we could by becoming a mediocre copy of www.iraqbodycount.org.

But hardly on ET.

and one major reason why this conflict continues.

You have cause and effect the wrong way around here. The censorship persists because the people who set American (and, to a lesser degree, the people who set European) foreign policy towards the Near East find it useful and profitable for the conflict to persist.

The press, in a modern managed democracy, is the tail of the political process, not the dog.

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 07:35:21 PM EST
But you see Jake, it is the blow by blow which gives meaning to the whole. It is just that, the blow by blow, which is missing from American eyes, and hence their conscience. Along with the propaganda and lies, it is why they blindly support Israel, believe it is a victim, and disparage 'Arab' peoples as terrorists.

In short, it is just what is at the bottom of our stupidity, the blow by blow details.

by shergald on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 07:56:22 PM EST
But you see Jake, it is the blow by blow which gives meaning to the whole.

I beg to differ. Immersing yourself in the blow-by-blow view of a conflict prevents you from seeing most of the picture. Why is the US supporting Israel? (Hint: It's not because Israel deserves support, nor is it because Israel is all that good at playing American media for fools.) Why does Europe support Israel, by action and inaction? (Hint: It's not because Israel is all that good at playing European media either.) Why does Egypt help Israel murder Palestinians? (Hint: It's not because of any deep and abiding love for Israel or hatred of the Palestinian people.)

A blow-by-blow account will never enable you to answer those questions intelligently. A blow-by-blow account can manufacture an emotional response, and if it is done with sufficient rigour it can serve as a resource for historical documentation. But while those are important parts of activism, they are not well suited to the platform and audience you have here.

You persist in treating European Tribune as if it were a broadcast medium, which is why you keep getting egg on your face. ET is a grassroot medium. The rules are different for grassroot media. The target audience is different too, because you're normally dealing with a non-captive high-information audience where broadcast media target a captive low-information audience.

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Thu Oct 28th, 2010 at 09:00:06 PM EST
Jake, those questions have been asked and answered a long time ago, many times, and as such, their repetition would only elicit more Helen-type responses, heard it before. Those answers have not changed in years. It is the day to day events that change in what is a modern day reenactment of 19th century colonialism in the Middle East.

Having said that, this diary is actually about censorship in proportedly left wing media in the US. On the other hand, take a look at this diary posted on Daily Kos for a slimpse at what you claim is of no interest here: Israel/Palestine News (get you the link in a moment).

by shergald on Fri Oct 29th, 2010 at 08:25:36 AM EST
by shergald on Fri Oct 29th, 2010 at 08:29:55 AM EST
On Kos it's relevant and interesting, because apparently a significant proportion of their user base remains in denial of the realities on the ground. On European Tribune, it's a jumbled mix of the relevant and the irrelevant.

The change in Israeli law described is interesting, because it contributes new knowledge. The rest is, on ET at least, noise.

Every reader of European Tribune knows that Israel is systematically harassing, murdering and displacing Palestinians inside and outside its borders. Incessantly spamming us with pictures of the graphic nature of this vileness does not serve to shock anybody into awareness. It serves only to denude such pictures of their shock value.

You're preaching to ET as if we were a low-info audience, when in fact we're usually better informed than you about the subject of your diaries. That's both insulting and counterproductive.

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Fri Oct 29th, 2010 at 09:42:40 AM EST
The day to day events do not change. On Monday, 3 people were killed in Iraq. On Sunday, 5 people were killed in Iraq. That difference is not a change. That's noise.

Tracking the raw data is important, but not well suited to European Tribune. Claiming that noise represents signal is nonsense and not well suited to anywhere.

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Fri Oct 29th, 2010 at 09:05:31 AM EST

The European Tribune is a left-of-centre community that is devoted primarily but not exclusively to discussions of current events, underlying causes and new ideas in economics, politics, science and society. Users are free to write diaries on any subject they want, as long as these are not

*personally offensive,
*defamatory,
*do not blatantly falsify scientific or historical facts or
*advocate theories involving pervasive high-level conspiracies

and to comment on contributions by other users. All views published on this site, without exception, are subject to debate, challenge and criticism by any user (as long as the proprieties of civility and ETiquette are observed). No "authority" - whether secular or religious, contemporary or historical - is considered above critical scrutiny. It is not the task of the editorial team to ensure any "balance" of views.

etc.

Jake, I know you are not pleased with having IP news on ET, your biggest claim being, like Helen's, that we have heard that before or we have already resolved the IP conflict and nothing more need be said. I don't know what motivates you, but the best way to make determinations about relevancy or importance is to allow the community including the lurkers to make that decision. They do so through recommendations and commentary if they so choose to participate (and I am not referring to the spirals of meta comments such as seen in this diary). Your attempt to define what is appropriate for ET defies the stated purpose above, but also carries some implications of censorship. That's not something a left of center blog would want get involved in, me thinks.

by shergald on Fri Oct 29th, 2010 at 09:47:35 AM EST
Jake, I know you are not pleased with having IP news on ET,

I have no problem with I/P. I have a problem with noise.

Your scrapbooks of photos, videos and third-party content lifted off random sites is noise.

your biggest claim being, like Helen's, that we have heard that before

And we have. We are not morons and we have been paying attention. Kindly cease presuming that we are and haven't.

And presumably you feel qualified to speak for the lurkers? Because most of the contributors have told you in so many words that you do not speak for them.

Lurkers, of course, have the advantage of not calling you on your bullshit.

You're the one who started the meta by whining about a completely on-topic comment that just happened to disagree with your thesis.

ETiquette:

One extra point: on European Tribune, we expect to read thought-through arguments, and expect people to be ready to dig up evidence to support their claims. Doing so won't ensure agreement between opposed sides, but at least people are more likely to take each other seriously. By evidence, we don't mean linkdumps or long quotes from webpages and nothing else -- if you reference something, you are expected to at least point out how you think it is relevant and why you think the source is authoritative. By thought-through argument, we mean no firing from the hip, and at least reading the opponent's argument in full.

but also carries some implications of censorship.

Let's take it once again for the slow learners: Demanding a high signal-to-noise ratio is not censorship. On the contrary, insisting upon the right to pollute the airwaves with noise is a quite effective form of censorship, as seen in the media picture of the United States of America.

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Fri Oct 29th, 2010 at 10:03:06 AM EST
Most people who believe that the IP conflict is a bunch of noise are usually people who are interested in censoring IP off a site. I have been there before, and your own efforts in this regard have not gone unnoticed, however idealistic they may seem.

Frankly, I too have heard it before, the photologs of autumn leaves, train dairies, and views of unusual European cities or countries, and many other areas that seem to deserve the accusation of being noise, and of course, the we have heard and seen it before. Personally, I like them.

Finally your claim that the IP conflict is just another rehashment of Iraq and Afganistan dead stats just shows how oblivious you are to the IP conflict, and how much it affects both American and European political life, to say nothing of the Middle East's. On the other hand, that Daily Kos has banned another two IP bloggers is a death toll of sorts, certainly censorship of the kind you are now demanding of me.

Suggestion: put up your own IP diaries, the high signal type you abstractly claim is missing from my own.

by shergald on Fri Oct 29th, 2010 at 10:28:41 AM EST
Why is it you don't have your own blog, shergald?
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Oct 29th, 2010 at 10:31:27 AM EST
Shergald now banned for passing the insult threshold. I feel sort of bad doing it, but only because he/she so clearly wants to be banned.
by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri Oct 29th, 2010 at 10:32:37 AM EST
Gets my vote.

I'll welcome quality I/P reporting and content, but someone who's clearly using I/P content as an excuse to pick fights isn't doing the Palestinians or ET any favours.

by ThatBritGuy (thatbritguy (at) googlemail.com) on Fri Oct 29th, 2010 at 10:47:04 AM EST
The decision to ban has the support of Jerome and the entire editorial team.

Comments now closed in this thread. There's been enough of this sterile wrangling.

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Fri Oct 29th, 2010 at 10:49:32 AM EST
Most people who believe that the IP conflict is a bunch of noise

Well, that should leave me out. I don't believe that the I/P conflict is noise. I believe that your scrapbooks about the I/P conflict are noise.

I don't. I claim that your scrapbooks are just a (poorly documented, poorly edited and poorly presented) rehash of the sort of reporting the those sites do a lot better than you.

It ain't about Palestine, shergald. It's about the fact that you seem pathologically unable to write anything interesting. The fact that you can make an inherently interesting subject like Palestine seem boring is a testament to your truly awesome lack of skill.

No, I know perfectly well how and how much it affects European political life. It's a point of contention between Europe and our neighbours around the Mediterranean. But other than that, it does not affect Europe at all.

Suggestion noted.

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Fri Oct 29th, 2010 at 10:42:54 AM EST
Yeah, that needs changing.

We need to add a clause about assholes abusing the community for the their own ends. That should catch both spam and the self-righteous.

by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Fri Oct 29th, 2010 at 10:12:41 AM EST

This is not an altogether accurate description. I think it's more fair to say that DailyKos discourages pro-Palestinian activism.

The compelling domestic reasons still apply, but let's call it what it is.

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Tue Oct 26th, 2010 at 09:13:00 PM EST
shergald:
Just one question: is ET a left-wing liberal site?

In European political context, liberal tends to be the stated ideology of small, urban, junior parties of the right that are seriously drunk on neoliberal brew. And the big right wing party often calls their own ideology liberal-conservative.

shergald:

And if not what party or parties are generally supported here

Well, I am a card carry member of the swedish pirate party.

Starvid is (or at least was at a time) a member of the swedish liberal party. Which is on the right on the swedish political spectrum and probably to the left of the US political spectrum.

Greens tend to get support here for their insight that raw materials are not endless and that much waste does not disappear when dropped in nature. Reconstructed socialist parties like Die Linke tends to get support in their views on foreign adventures.

Social democrats tend to be bemoaned because they are the big parties of the left but almost always choose the "Serious" solution to economic problems. That the "social" is short for socialist is forgotten. Old style communists tends to be stuck in a sort of industrial nostalgia.

The big right party (conservative/christian democrats/Berlusconi) is usually seen as the political arm of the upper class and so ideologically drunk that they are not even in support of the upper class long term interests. Loot-and-burn types.

Individual politicians tend to be appreciated when they happen to say something sane that goes against the mainstream insanity.

by A swedish kind of death on Wed Oct 27th, 2010 at 03:10:07 PM EST

And that's if you're lucky. If you're not lucky, they haven't even read the first rule of The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates: "Pillage, then burn."

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Wed Oct 27th, 2010 at 04:19:53 PM EST
Lighten up folks. I have now come to expect 'meta' spirls like the one above on these diaries, this time beginning with Helen's comments. Swen is right, they should be ignored, not responded to. In truth I don't take them too seriously. Not a single one seems focused on content.

Just one question: what happened to FairLeft. Was he banned and if so why? I came to believe such things do not happen on ET.

As far as the banning of Tom J at Daily Kos is concerned, he never had to tolerate meta clashes with admins, but only harassment from the right wing anti-IP groups that reside there.

by shergald on Wed Oct 27th, 2010 at 08:23:51 AM EST
Uh, Helen's comment does discuss the subject of the diary, which is itself a meta-discussion (of a Kossack meta-issue, at that).

That she does not agree with you does not mean that she is off topic.

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Wed Oct 27th, 2010 at 08:31:22 AM EST
afaik, you have to do a lot lot worse than write awkward diaries to get banned here. If you're writing sensible contributions, even if we disagree with them, then there is no problem whatsoever.

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Wed Oct 27th, 2010 at 08:38:39 AM EST
Afaik means "As Far As I Know." Today I learned something new, and I thank you for the knowledge.

by shergald on Wed Oct 27th, 2010 at 02:16:41 PM EST
shergald:

Helen's comments are bang smack on topic. Your diary is about IP on DKos, and she wrote about that in answer to your diary. You decided it was

interminable meta crap

Which basically means to you, anything you don't want to see or hear.

However, there is "meta crap" coming from you even while you complain about it:

shergald:

you failed to recommend this diary

Finally,

shergald:

he never had to tolerate meta clashes with admins

None of the posters on this thread were editors, until Jerome a Paris commented.

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Wed Oct 27th, 2010 at 08:39:28 AM EST
To say this is content oriented and not meta is rediculous.

So I'm not gonna say it again. It's not Kos, it's you. Deal with it.

I'm still waiting for the links to these discussions.

by shergald on Wed Oct 27th, 2010 at 09:23:07 AM EST
[ET Moderation Technology™]

Fairleft is not banned, and is free to post comments at ET. For the time being, the ability to post diaries at ET has been restricted for fairleft after having posted a number of diaries containing slander.

by Nomad on Wed Oct 27th, 2010 at 10:58:58 AM EST
Slander? Slander? I'm slandered all the time. Should I complain that the slanderers should be banned.

I've read most of Fairleft's stuff. and I don't find that there's any slander. Do you mean "criticism?"

Well, over on this side of the water, we have the first admendment and perhaps it gives us more leeway than you Euros have.

Still, if you can just point out the diary I missed that contains this slander, I'd be happy to comment.

by shergald on Wed Oct 27th, 2010 at 02:00:40 PM EST
Diaries containing slander are normally not kept in view of the public. On account of diaries containing slander potentially exposing ET to legal action.

I didn't see the offending diaries, but given the record of the site administration in (not) deleting diaries, I'll take their word that there was an excellent reason to remove them.

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Wed Oct 27th, 2010 at 02:44:24 PM EST
[ET Moderation Technology™]

Any diary containing slander will not be left visible at ET.

I've answered your question concerning the "banning" of fairleft. Further comment on this issue will not be needed, nor much appreciated.

by Nomad on Wed Oct 27th, 2010 at 02:53:42 PM EST
An explanation about what was allegedly slandered would help your case. I have read FairLeft's work for a number of years and have never seen slander, as you call it, but only criticism, especially political criticism.

Can someone explain what the slander was about?

by shergald on Wed Oct 27th, 2010 at 03:24:06 PM EST
fairleft is on booman, where you came from too.

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Wed Oct 27th, 2010 at 11:37:51 AM EST
As far as I am aware, Fairleft came from Daily Kos originally. He may correct me on that if he wishes.

I originally came from Right Wing News and then Red State before Daily Kos, and then Booman, MyDD, Open Left, and then here. But yes, I appreciate Booman as a truly liberal blog.

by shergald on Wed Oct 27th, 2010 at 02:05:16 PM EST
Flash from Britain, Jews sans frontieres reporting, something for the Euros:

October 26, 2010

Spain is not the Costa del War Crime

Brits have long known Spain as the Costa del Crime because of its lack of extradition treaty with the UK though I think it has one now. Now, ironically, whilst the UK has changed its laws on universal jurisdiction to facilitate the comings and goings of Israeli war criminals, Spain has yet to fall into line. According to Yediot Ahranot or YNET, Israeli Knesset Member (MK), Avi Dichter, has been warned that he could face arrest if he turns up in Spain. Check out the crimes he is alleged to have been involved in. All the links in the YNET piece have been added by me and they link to wikipedia but remember zionists are all over that site and it shows:

MK Avi Dichter (Kadima) was planning on taking part in an international peace summit in Spain over the weekend, but was forced to cancel over fears he would be arrested, and possibly imprisoned, by Madrid authorities, Yedioth Ahronoth reported Tuesday.

According to report several days ago, a Spanish organization called The Madrid Coalition, invited Israeli and Palestinian representatives to take part in a summit focusing on the peace process and the Saudi initiative. Senior officials from the Palestinian Authority, including Mohammed Dahlan had RSVP'd to the event.

The Madrid Coalition works in cooperation with the former Spanish Foreign Minister Miguel Moratinos. The summit organizers decided to invite a small group of MKs from Israel to take part in the summit. Former Shin Bet Chief MK Avi Dichter was set to lead the delegation.

Earlier this week, Dichter requested to look into the possibility that he may face legal action in Spain over complaints against him for his involvement in the Salah Shehade assassination, which took place when Dichter was head of Shin Bet) and for his involvement in Operation Cast Lead, Dichter was Minister of Public Security at the time). After looking into the legal aspects of the situation,

Madrid officials told Dichter that Spain did not intend to offer him immunity from arrest or interrogation, after which he cancelled his participation in the event.

Salah Shehade is the Hamas chap who was killed by way of a one ton bomb dropped on an apartment building he was in. 14 other people, including Shehade's wife and 9 children, were killed in the same attack, though he was supposedly the target.

Link not available at present.

by shergald on Wed Oct 27th, 2010 at 10:37:42 AM EST
Here's the link.

Now, can you tell us in what way this is on topic in your diary re DKos - while at the same time you maintain that Helen's comment re DKos is off topic?

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Wed Oct 27th, 2010 at 11:27:43 AM EST
To be fair, posting "newsflashes" like this as comments to his diaries was found to be a workable way to allow shergald to give a higher profile to news items than he believes that they would get in the Salon while not spamming the recent diary list with cut-and-paste jobs (I personally doubt they actually get more readers here than in the Salon, but that was the feeling he expressed at the time). I still think it's a workable solution. But then, I never had much of a problem with threads going off topic in the first place...

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Wed Oct 27th, 2010 at 01:36:28 PM EST
Re. Salon. Salon is about 50 times larger than ET and just for reference, Daily Kos is about 250 times larger in its lull moments. During elections, Daily Kos has had as many as 2 million daily visitors.

This diary about the banning of Tom J was actually about a great loss of publicity concerning the Palestinian plight. And that is why it was posted.

by shergald on Wed Oct 27th, 2010 at 02:11:49 PM EST
Re. Salon. Salon is about 50 times larger than ET and just for reference,

Not Salon the web site. The Salon on ET. The yellow-themed thread on the front page.

I wasn't disagreeing with that.

Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate.

by JakeS (JangoSierra 'at' gmail 'dot' com) on Wed Oct 27th, 2010 at 02:37:20 PM EST
Meta is by definition off topic. Otherwise, see Jake.

by shergald on Wed Oct 27th, 2010 at 02:13:01 PM EST
And on topic is anything you say.
by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Wed Oct 27th, 2010 at 03:16:57 PM EST
Well, here's an on topic flash:

Here today we have yet another banning at Daily Kos by the now infamous Meteor Blades, just two days after Tom J's demise. Hard to believe after reading the diary complaining about troll hijacking by the right wing Zionists, which is demonstrated in the diary itself (see the comments).

Even my merciful nature has its... (14+ / 0-)

Recommended by:navajo, arielle, kalmoth, blueyedace2, sofia, Land of Enchantment, MBNYC, psychodrew, Corwin Weber, mayim, Its the Supreme Court Stupid, hikerbiker, Mets102, angry marmot (all right wing Zionists)

...limits, Jane Stillwater. This time you're gone for good.

Don't tell me what you believe. Tell me what you do and I'll tell you what you believe.

by Meteor Blades on Tue Oct 26, 2010 at 06:29:07 PM PDT

Ya gotta love it, the censorship, that is.

You can read the diary itself here and judge for yourself: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/10/26/913726/-Palestinethe-Daily-Kos:-Dog-whistles-Or-Google-Aler ts

by shergald on Wed Oct 27th, 2010 at 03:26:11 PM EST