Sad announcement

by Colman Wed Feb 7th, 2018 at 12:12:50 PM EST

I am sad to announce that Lenny Poryles, known here as LEP, passed away yesterday. He was an active and wise poster here in ET's prime and a regular attender at meet-ups.

This is the latest image I have of him, from a 2011 meet-up.

by Colman (colman at eurotrib.com) on Wed Feb 7th, 2018 at 12:37:16 PM EST
He was a grand old guy. Condolences to his family

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Wed Feb 7th, 2018 at 01:01:18 PM EST
Len was a beautiful person, indded.

"Dieu se rit des hommes qui se plaignent des conséquences alors qu'ils en chérissent les causes" Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet
by Melanchthon on Wed Feb 7th, 2018 at 02:09:13 PM EST
And he lived an amazing life... some of which we got to share...
Skennah Kowa...

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." - Anaïs Nin
by Crazy Horse on Wed Feb 7th, 2018 at 02:11:10 PM EST
I only met LEP once, so I can't say I knew him well.  It was at an ET meet-up in Paris and we later went for a meal at a restaurant near his place. He always seemed a calming influence even during the days of ET's Sturm und Drang. My condolences to his family, Raphael and Esther. We may not see his like again...

His last diary is here.

Index of Frank's Diaries

by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Wed Feb 7th, 2018 at 03:31:36 PM EST
I'm finding it hard to think of anyone more genuine, friendly, kind, sincere, than Lenny.

To his family, sympathy. To Lenny, peace. Dors en paix.

by afew (afew(a in a circle)eurotrib_dot_com) on Wed Feb 7th, 2018 at 03:57:48 PM EST
It is indeed sad to hear this. I never had a face to face with Len thought we did communicate via email and, of course, via responses and ratings on ET. I remember his last photo- journalism exploit in Paris during protests a few years ago. What a guy. Both thanks and condolences to his family. The thanks are for taking such good care of him for so long.

"It is not necessary to have hope in order to persevere."
by ARGeezer (ARGeezer a in a circle eurotrib daught com) on Wed Feb 7th, 2018 at 04:14:42 PM EST
I am sad to hear that, he will be missed.
by fjallstrom on Wed Feb 7th, 2018 at 07:16:14 PM EST
Sad to hear his good spirit has left us. My condolences to his family.
by de Gondi (publiobestia aaaatttthotmaildaughtusual) on Wed Feb 7th, 2018 at 08:48:39 PM EST
Such a nice and friendly person; always watching for others, even when his own health was ailing. We'll miss him.
My sympathy to his family.
by Bernard on Wed Feb 7th, 2018 at 09:01:31 PM EST
I had the privilege of meeting Len in Lyon, then a second time in Paris. I found much to admire and emulate in him : notably, the thing about retiring to a canal boat.

It is rightly acknowledged that people of faith have no monopoly of virtue - Queen Elizabeth II
by eurogreen on Thu Feb 8th, 2018 at 09:17:42 AM EST
The title is taken from LEP's words in his very last entry at ET last year July.

My contacts with Lenny have unfortunately remained limited to a few brief meetings during ET-meet ups in Paris. Even on these occasions his bluff spirit and joie de vivre were immediately recognizable. His witty sense of humour and humility he plied online always seemed to mask his professionalism and vast knowledge about the world. ET on its heyday was rated highly for its intellectual capacity and diversity - yet to me Lenny was one of those who contributed heavily to the most crucial of elements: a warm and empathic community. He's part of the reason why I am still around.

My thoughts to his family and close friends, I'll mourn this loss with them - and I'll cherish the days when our lives crossed.

by Bjinse on Thu Feb 8th, 2018 at 11:34:11 AM EST
A warm voice that shall be missed.

Condolences to his family.

by ATinNM on Thu Feb 8th, 2018 at 03:50:18 PM EST
Sad news.
by Metatone (metatone [a|t] gmail (dot) com) on Fri Feb 9th, 2018 at 07:23:08 AM EST
So many great people I never got to meet.
by generic on Fri Feb 9th, 2018 at 10:17:43 AM EST
We'll have to have another meet-up in Paris in his honour...

Index of Frank's Diaries
by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Fri Feb 9th, 2018 at 05:01:16 PM EST

you are the media you consume.

by MillMan (millguy at gmail) on Sat Feb 10th, 2018 at 12:45:07 AM EST
Regret I never had a chance to meet him.  A sad day. :(

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country.
by Drew J Jones (pedobear@pennstatefootball.com) on Sun Feb 11th, 2018 at 06:39:42 PM EST
I had forgotten about his photo-blog diaries and going throug his diary, found this one in his diary I marched today so that you could retire at 60[ UPDATED].

Such a warm kind heart and a passion for life.

My condolences to his family.

Point n'est besoin d'espérer pour entreprendre, ni de réussir pour persévérer. - Charles le Téméraire

by marco on Mon Feb 12th, 2018 at 03:29:08 AM EST
I think we should send these photos to his family.

by Melanchthon on Tue Feb 13th, 2018 at 09:52:51 AM EST
Sad news. I remember his calming presence on ET, and the way he generously offered an overnight stop on a drive down from the UK to Spain.

Condolences to his family for their loss.

by ThatBritGuy (thatbritguy (at) googlemail.com) on Tue Feb 13th, 2018 at 12:19:33 PM EST
Very sorry to hear about this.
by asdf on Mon Feb 26th, 2018 at 12:46:13 AM EST