Tue Oct 15th, 2019 at 07:06:28 AM EST
Title change: “EU Michel Barnier: Brexit Deal Possible This Week!!”
○ Boris Johnson news – live: PM's Brexit deal with EU shot down by DUP just moments after triumphal announcement | The Independent |
○ Boris Woke Up with a 'Splitting' Headache
DUP says it cannot support customs terms in Boris Johnson's deal
○ Boris Johnson 'on brink of Brexit deal' after border concessions | The Guardian |
○ UK and EU closing in on a deal, as negotiating teams work on legal text | Telegraph |
○ EU Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier says a deal with Britain is still possible this week | AP |
Brexit deal 'still possible this week', says EU chief negotiator Michel Barnier | Sky News |
The EU's chief negotiator believes a Brexit deal is "still possible this week" as he returned to "intense" discussions with UK officials.
Speaking on his arrival at a gathering of EU ministers in Luxembourg, where Brexit Secretary Stephen Barclay will also be present, EU negotiator Michel Barnier told reporters: "Our team are working hard."
More to follow ...
My recent diaries …
○ NI-Only: Boris As Escape Artist
○ Boris' Wet Dream: the UK After Brexit
EU mulls new emergency summit to 'get Brexit deal done' | BBC News |
Negotiations continue - but time is tight, and, to use the words of even the most upbeat of those involved, "there's still much work to do".
EU internal talk is focussing now on a possible "holding pattern statement" at this week's EU leaders summit, along the lines of "we've made great progress in negotiations but still need more time".
There are also renewed mutterings about a new Brexit summit maybe towards the end of the month.
UPDATE BBC News - Brexit deal 'still possible, but more difficult' - Barnier
Jeremy Corbyn – too busy with internal Labour politics to grasp reality in the outside world beyond the House of Commons …
○ Boost for Boris Johnson as hardline leave rebel signals he now wants to back PM's deal | The Guardian |
Yesterday’s news superceded by this morning’s briefing in Brussels …
○ Brexit deal not possible before summit, EU leaders tell Boris Johnson | The Independent |
Downing Street again on Monday ruled out any delay. The PM’s official spokesman told a Westminster briefing: “The talks remain constructive but there is still a lot of work still to do.”
Asked whether the PM was sticking to his 31 October pledge, the spokesman said: “I think the prime minister has always said we need to leave the EU on the 31.
“We need to leave the EU on 31 October to restore trust in our democracy. That is what the prime minister is committed to achieving.”