Wed Oct 2nd, 2019 at 10:48:22 AM EST
A never ending tale of Red vs Blue ...
William Barr's 4-country effort to discredit the Trump-Russia inquiry, explained | Vox |
News reports this week have clarified that Attorney General William Barr's promised investigation into the origins of the FBI investigation of links between Russia and the Trump campaign is very real, and has involved high-level talks and meetings with the governments of four countries -- Ukraine, Italy, Australia, and the United Kingdom.
That's a motley assortment of nations whose links and relevance may not be obvious to someone who gets their news from mainstream sources.
The four countries link together as part of a counternarrative popular on the right that holds that the real scandal of the Trump-Russia affair is not anything Trump (or the Russians) did but a "deep state" plot by intelligence agencies to swing the election against Hillary Clinton.
Taking the narrative, add a lot of falsehoods and one creates multiple-conspiracies for news headlines and plenty of content.
More below the fold ...
Who is prof. Mifsud?
Affording to the official narrative of events, the FBI's Trump-Russia inquiry began when an intoxicated George Papadopoulos told Australia's ambassador to the UK that he'd been approached by a mysterious professor who claimed to be acting on behalf of the Russian government and would be able to provide the Trump campaign with "dirt" on Hillary Clinton.
That professor turns out to be Joseph Mifsud.
In his telling, rather than being a liar whose dishonesty impeded a legitimate counterintelligence investigation, he's a patsy. Mifsud was never a Russian agent at all, but rather an Italian asset sent to entrap Papadopoulos as a favor to Obama-era CIA Director John Brennan. Papadopoulos made this most explicit when the government of Italy shook up its intelligence services. He described it at the time as a "flip," and suggested the Russia-friendly right-wing populist government of Italy would shortly reveal the truth.
Related reading ...
○ Downers Stradling the EU Entry and British Exit
○ British Spooks Exploiting Populist Insurgency for Anti-Russia Campaign
○ She Fell In Love with Papadopoulos
○ Australia was wounded when Britain joined the EU. Now we can make things right - as partners | The Telegraph - Alex Downer |
○ US Foreign Policy and CIA Masters
GCHQ and Australian Spy Ring
My diaries ...
○ Mifsud Offering Alu Tubes to Papadopoulos? by Oui @BooMan on Jan. 21, 2018
○ Trump Campaign, British MI6 and Spy Stefan Halper by Oui @EuroTrib on May 25, 2018
Latest news on AG Barr's travels ...
○ Barr Went to Rome to Hear a Secret Tape From Joseph Mifsud, the Professor Who Helped Ignite the Russia Probe | Daily Beast - 11 hrs ago |