Happy New Year to one and all

by Frank Schnittger Tue Dec 31st, 2019 at 07:25:56 PM EST

For many people 2019 was a year to forget and the decade of the 2010's wasn't much better. What were your highs and lows, funniest moments, and greatest achievements or regrets?

I for one would like to put 2019 into the black hole of Google's "Right to forget".

Much of our effort during 14 years to deal with the effects of our daughter's divorce and our visiting rights to our grandson were erased. We are thankful for all those years where we could be close to our grandson. Based on the European Right of "Family Life", we would be able to see our grandson ... unfortunately greatly limited.

We have made the choice to end all ties with our narcissist former son-in-law and be relieved of the burden of stress and animosity.

For 2020 we look forward to good health, happiness and peace with harmony between peoples.

Global Warming - distance between America and Europe is steadily increasing.

by Oui on Tue Dec 31st, 2019 at 07:52:57 PM EST
Received the written court decision this evening ... still some hope! Need to study the decision tomorrow. 😊

Global Warming - distance between America and Europe is steadily increasing.
by Oui on Tue Dec 31st, 2019 at 10:46:01 PM EST
Late entry for funny pictures:
by generic on Wed Jan 1st, 2020 at 12:00:35 AM EST
by generic on Thu Jan 2nd, 2020 at 12:51:28 AM EST

Bomb, bomb, bomb ... bomb, bomb, Iran
[Source: Heritage John McCain]

The Daily Show - Now That's What I Call Being Completely F**king Wrong About Iraq

Global Warming - distance between America and Europe is steadily increasing.

by Oui on Thu Jan 2nd, 2020 at 10:53:03 AM EST

gov.uk translation: Prime Minister's New Year's message: 31 December 2019

Diversity is the key to economic and political evolution.

by Cat on Wed Jan 1st, 2020 at 12:11:41 AM EST
When is a decade not a decade? When it's not ten years long. For instance, we (EU + UK) are still in "austerity" and near-deflation following a mammoth cock-up by the financial sector that took off in 2007-8. The only reason I can see for "decades" is that they give the meeja a pile of lazy work reviewing "events". ("Generations", also a media trick to wave around shiny stuff masquerading as profound sociological insight.)

So anyway, goodbye 2019, you were really shit. Unfortunately there is no reason to expect anything better just because the calendar took a tick forward.

Grumpy, me? Because I got a stomach bug that made me drink Badoit instead of champagne? All things must pass. Sometimes they pass more quickly than we'd like.

Take no notice of the above. Best wishes to all for the days to come, and indeed for the century to come. ("Century"? Ask Hobsbawm.)

Things are going to slide, slide in all directions
Won't be nothing, nothing you can measure anymore
L. Cohen

by john_evans (john(dot)evans(dot)et(at)gmail(dot)com) on Wed Jan 1st, 2020 at 10:32:34 AM EST

Sometimes, as with a stomach bug, the quicker things pass, the better. :-)

Index of Frank's Diaries

by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Wed Jan 1st, 2020 at 11:31:30 AM EST
isn't badoit the one with measurable levels of weapons grade plutonium in it?

keep to the Fen Causeway
by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Sun Jan 5th, 2020 at 02:05:46 PM EST
Gotta shoot the bugs down with something.

Things are going to slide, slide in all directions
Won't be nothing, nothing you can measure anymore
L. Cohen
by john_evans (john(dot)evans(dot)et(at)gmail(dot)com) on Sun Jan 5th, 2020 at 04:50:02 PM EST
For me the past few years have been kind. My three kids are all thriving in their careers, loves, friendships, and kids (in the case of two of them). My three grand kids are thriving as well. All sorts of little milestones are being reached with aplomb.

My own health has been OK following a stroke and I can still play tennis (badly), drive and use a computer despite losing an eye to shingles some years ago. Energy levels aren't what they used to be, so physical work is more limited, but working at a computer is no problem at all. I'd still like to be able to write more and better, but that is a problem only for people who don't have serious problems in their lives.

Ireland, to, has its problems, chiefly with homelessness, housing and healthcare, but compared to a few years ago they are relatively small. Full employment, rising wages, and reduced indebtedness is helping not a few. Long may the good times continue.

Index of Frank's Diaries

by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Wed Jan 1st, 2020 at 03:17:59 PM EST
For me personally, this was a shitty year, personally and professionally. It ranks among my worst, and I can think of only one redeeming point. Fuck 2019.

The fact that the world is rapidly collapsing into an apocalyptic fascist hellscape does not improve my mood much.

While 2020 might improve on a personal level, I have ever confidence that it will continue to spiral into disaster on a global level. Woot.

by Zwackus on Sun Jan 5th, 2020 at 05:02:07 AM EST
Seems like the majority view is that this has been a shitty year for us, both personally and politically.

All this last 2 or 3 years I have felt trapped in the joke "They said smile, things could get worse. So I smiled and things got worse...."

To contemplate TWBJ as Prime Minister with an overwhelming parliamentary majority, Australia on fire and Trump about to start WWIII has just left me profoundly depressed. To even consider politics right now is almost unbearable. I take an interest but feel like I'm going through the motions. I genuinely can't bring myself to be interested in the Labour leadership election. I'm not remotely enthusaistic about any of the candidates, but some are worse than others.

No doubt Jess Philips will win because she is, by a considerable margin, the worst candidate on offer. It's not so much her centrist politics that fills me with dread but the fact nothing I have seen of her suggest she's at all intelligent. For the record, neither was Corbyn but he at least had some moral convictions to navigatee by. Philips is, by contrast, a curious melange of received opinions, none of them partuclarly coherent. She is also the Murdoch anointed favourite. TWBJ will make mincemeat of her.

So, no hope for the future. The country I call home will shortly cease to exist as it disintegrates under the forces of nationalism and brexit. Still, the Middle East may soon be turned to glass before global warming gets a chance to flood it.

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Sun Jan 5th, 2020 at 02:24:23 PM EST
You spelled Nancy Pelosi rong.
by Cat on Sun Jan 5th, 2020 at 07:39:50 PM EST
I thought YouGov just called it for Keir Starmer, and they can't be wrong, as they also called it for Boris...

Index of Frank's Diaries
by Frank Schnittger (mail Frankschnittger at hot male dotty communists) on Sun Jan 5th, 2020 at 08:31:09 PM EST
He's an early leader but not all of the candidates have declared. Plus if Murdoch and FB go to bat for JP, then it's all to play for.

We are a long long way from the election and it will be a dismal spectacle of media lies and distortions all the way.

keep to the Fen Causeway

by Helen (lareinagal at yahoo dot co dot uk) on Sun Jan 5th, 2020 at 08:59:15 PM EST
Annus horribilis.
My partner had a stroke on 30th December '18 and this year since has been dedicated to her recovery.
Happily she has made much progress and ths coming year will be dedicated to consolidating it further.
The brain is extraordinarily resilient, to see her relearning to navigate a much-changed reality has been inspiring, astonishing and sometimes humbling.
The doctors have found no explanation so far.
They kept her alive, that job they did very well!
Tell your loved ones how much you love them, life can hang on a very slim thread indeed.
Part of the healing has involved limiting the BP-raising effects of mainstream TV news.

A peaceful, prosperous year to you all!

by melo (melometa4(at)gmail.com) on Sun Jan 5th, 2020 at 11:14:24 PM EST
I'm almost embarassed to report that my year has been a mighty good one. The whole decade has seen steady progress in reconstruction after my horrible noughts, and ended in an apotheosis of confortable middle-classness : home ownership and marriage, a sort of mutual reassurance package for two ageing immigrants.

To balance that, the world has gone to hell of course... But I'm doing what I can to make it less worse, and I note that my offspring are much better at that than I am, which is a source of considerable pride.

Also on the downside, everything I have touched in the political sphere this year has turned to crap. I'm currently keeping my hands in my pockets and my gaze averted to try not to jinx any emergent phenomena. BUT municipal elections are coming up and my hands are getting itchy for a broom and a bucket of glue.

It is rightly acknowledged that people of faith have no monopoly of virtue - Queen Elizabeth II

by eurogreen on Mon Jan 13th, 2020 at 02:08:45 PM EST