by Frank Schnittger
Sat Sep 2nd, 2023 at 08:36:48 AM EST
My first book (and venture into fictional writing) is about to be self-published with Amazon/Kindle. It may not be available to order for a couple of days but will become available in Kindle, paperback and hardback formats. Your support and reference to any of your contacts or friends who may be interested would be much appreciated.
The book is a future history written from the perspective of 2040, 15 years after Irish re-unification. It is written in the form of a memoir by a young English journalist who ends up falling in love with an Irishwoman, Ireland, its people, and its politics. It gives a personal account of how a Border Poll was called, why it was carried, and what happened afterwards. It traces the development of a unified Irish state over a 15 year transition period and looks at how it all turned out, from a variety of points of view in Ireland and Britain.
The Good Friday Agreement is silent on what happens after a Border Poll is carried out and returns a majority for re-unification. My book is an attempt to flesh out, in a hopefully informative, entertaining, and amusing way, what could and should happen!
Table of contents below...
Table of Contents
1. My private meeting with Rishi Sunak 4
2. The Bombshell 12
3. Belfast 25
4. Election Night! 36
5. A Draft New British Irish Treaty 49
6. A tale of two General Elections 64
7. My renewed rugby career! 76
8. The Border Poll Campaign 83
9. The people decide. 95
10. Kidnapped 109
11. The Irish Referendum Campaign 120
12. The First All-Ireland Elections 129
13. Disappointment 139
14. My political career move 147
15. A brave new world 156
16. Our Wedding 163
17. The Ukraine War 170
18. Ambassador Filatov 180
19. Economic and social transformation 189
20. The normalisation of politics 202
21. Scandal 211
22. Transforming the Environment 225
23. Back to the EU 236
24. And so, to conclude... 246